Preheat the oven to 350°F. Save the holes to cook as well. Combine butter, milk, corn syrup, and vanilla in medium saucepan and heat over medium heat until butter is melted. This easy recipe for moist and buttery donuts will quickly become a favorite breakfast treat. With kitchen-tested quality recipes and step-by-step tutorials, my goal is to give you the confidence to bake and cook from scratch. Finally you don’t have to feel guilty about indulging in decadent donuts or cupcakes! Do you have a donut pan? The coupons for product redemption, … That’s completely fine. Use an oil thermometer to keep the oil’s temperature around 375°F (191°C). Set aside. Hey Sally please I want your sincere advise that can we only use Chocolate chips and butter only. Donuts taste best eaten the same day, though they may be covered tightly and stored at room temperature for 2 days. Hi Meilen, You can simply leave it out. For the glaze, whisk the sugar and cocoa powder in a shallow bowl. Besides sprinkles on top , I left a few plain with no icing , some with icing and some I added mini chocolate chips. Easy wonderful chocolate donut holes Sooooo easy My 5 yr old g baby made these in a donut hole maker …. You want it to be thin enough that you can dip the donuts in to coat the tops, but not too thin that it is runny. But frosted donuts should always have sprinkles in my mind. Cover them completely in sprinkles and you’ll find yourself eating more than just one! But seriously, yeast is nothing to be scared of and there’s something so, so satisfying about watching dough rise. Remove dough from the bowl and turn it out onto a lightly floured surface. Add the egg, melted butter and vanilla extract and beat to combine. Stir the two ingredients well to mix them. Allow the donuts to slightly cool before glazing. What can I use to substitute for corn syrup? Even my parents, who are always on a diet, had these Thanks! I’m glad to help! Spoon on top of the cooled donuts and spread evenly. Halvah apple pie apple pie brownie donut cheesecake. There really isn't much extra work when it comes to fried donuts compared to baked donuts. Roll the dough out until it is only ½ inch thick. Whisk milk, egg, butter, oil, and 2 teaspoons vanilla extract together in a small bowl. I just got a mini-doughnut pan yesterday and can’t wait to make these with the kiddos! Mix the honey, water and vanilla in a small cup to incorporate the ingredients completely. Can I just make this in a sheet pan? Microwave on low for 30 seconds, stirring every 10 seconds, until melted. These come together quickly and easily, no mixer required! I'm a huge fan of donuts but have never actually made yeast donuts until today. Is it one to one? Spray a donut pan with non-stick spray. Dip each fried donut in the glaze and place back on cooling rack. Regards Catherine, For chocolate donuts I recommend using this recipe: https://sallysbakingaddiction.com/glazed-chocolate-donut-holes/. Oh man. So excited to make these! I haven’t. I have another donut recipe that’s vanilla with chocolate chips – you can omit the chocolate … Remove from the pan and bake the remaining donut batter. Could these be converted into coconut donuts, by any chance? I see in your notes that you recommend plain Greek. How to Shape Donuts Without a Donut Cutter. Can I substitute the ground nutmeg with cinnamon? Made these this morning! We have to bake gluten free in our house, and I do pretty good.. =). Bake for 9-10 minutes or until the edges are lightly browned. These Chocolate Protein Donuts and Cupcakes have a rich, light and fluffy crumb and are topped with a Skinny Chocolate glaze or frosting. Mix the powdered sweetener and cocoa powder together. I rate this only 1 star out of 5! Add the sugar and yeast and stir to combine. Brownie muffin pastry cupcake cake dessert chocolate cake. Stir into flour … Jelly jelly beans candy. Thank you! Part of the reason was cake donuts are just so dang easy and I was a little intimidated to make fried donuts. Use a slotted spoon to remove the donuts and place on a wired cooling rack. Salt - enhances the flavor. PLEASE SEE MY, Add this fun baking tool to your collection because today we’re making chocolate frosted donuts. I just made these, I substituted buttermilk for milk and they are gorgeous! I’m Sally, a cookbook author, photographer, and blogger. If I use vanilla Greek yogurt, will he donuts be a lot sweeter than using plain? I finally took the leap when making these chocolate frosted donuts with sprinkles... or without. In a large measuring cup or medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, vanilla, and vinegar. If I can, how much would you recommend? Add the chocolate, honey, coffee (coffee always brings out a depth of flavor in chocolate – try it next time in a cake or brownie recipe), and butter, then turn the heat to medium low. These doughnuts were not good at all! I have both varieties, but was curious of the difference in flavor with the vanilla vs. plain. I am fully convinced that the only way to enjoy a chocolate donut is with peanut butter frosting. All-purpose flour - has the right amount of gluten for these baked donuts. Cover and let the doughnuts rest as you heat the oil. Add the egg, melted butter and vanilla extract and beat to combine. I’ve made these before with regular flour delicious. Stir while the butter and chocolate melt, letting it go slowly so the chocolate … If you’ve tried these chocolate frosted donuts or any other recipe on Chisel & Fork, please let me know how it turned out in the comments below! Using a doughnut cutter, cut into 12 donuts. Hi Afton! But can I make the chocolate glaze in a bain marie instead of using the microwave? Add the flour, milk, butter, egg yolks and sugar to the bowl and mix on low speed until everything is … the doughnuts ended up: 1- tasting like muffins 2- they looked like muffins (the first tray) the second tray looked like falafel 3- it was so hard to get them out of the pan although I greased it well I am suspecting that the yoghurt made them taste like muffins, but what about the way they look? Fill free to use this basic dough and eat them plain or top them with a simple vanilla glaze. I just ordered a donut pan. While doughnuts are cooling, heat a small saucepan over medium heat and add butter, vanilla, corn syrup and milk. more about Sally, Copyright 2020 Sallys Baking Addiction • WordPress Development by Southern Web • Website Accessibility Statement • Privacy Policy, THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE SALES LINKS. What if I didnt use the corn syrup? Preheat the oven to 350°F (177°C). A tradition since 2013, every December we countdown to Christmas with 10 new cookie recipes in a row! I'm Ryan and here you'll find hundreds of recipes ranging from true comfort food to vegan. Lightly flour a work surface and roll dough to 1/2-inch thick. Thanks! Create the Ultimate Donut Chocolate Frosted Air Fryer Donuts. If you would like to use maple syrup you can make the maple glaze from these Maple Glazed Donuts. Decrease the heat to low, add the chocolate, and whisk until melted. Glazed Coffee Chocolate Frosted Donut Recipe. Fry donuts in … See my recipe note about turning these into muffins. I hope all of this is helpful if you decide to try the recipe again! These donuts are great for breakfast, brunch, or snack at any time of day! I was curious if there is a baking tip in making the donuts crunchier/crispier on the outside? Sally would I be able to use a mini donut maker for this recipe ? Thank you for your input! I made these this morning with my 3 year old. These chocolate frosted donuts get covered in a rich chocolate glaze made with bittersweet chocolate and butter. Hi Andrea, The batter is too thin to hold its shape without a donut pan. So easy. No donut is complete without a frosted top! But I’ve been wanting to experiment with some donuts because well…. I made these for family that came from India (they’d never had cake donuts before) using 2% milk and nonfat yogurt, and they turned out so yummy! Is there any other way besides using a donut pan we can make them to look like donuts? Place the oil, sour cream, sugar, egg, and vanilla in a smaller bowl and whisk until smooth. I was thinking of replacing the milk with canned coconut milk, and adding some coconut extract to both the batter and the frosting; if I wanted to add some dried coconut, too, could I fold some into the batter? You simply mix everything up with the dough hook attachment and then just let the yeast do its work. Using a doughnut cutter, cut into 12 donuts. I want to try this tomorrow. We will certainly not make these again! In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. The batter will be very thick. Hi! Hi Jen, there’s such a small amount of yogurt in this recipe that it won’t matter if you use sweetened vanilla or plain yogurt. You could dip your finished baked donut in melted butter and quickly fry them in a pan on the stovetop to get that texture. My favorite cake donuts ever are from a gas station (Casey’s General Store). can I sub maple syrup for the corn syrup? Add the melted butter and vanilla, whisking until fully combined. They're gluten free, dairy free, Paleo and even nut free. Remove dough from the bowl and turn it out onto a lightly floured surface. Add the egg, melted butter and vanilla extract and beat to combine. Join the community on the 1st of every month as we tackle a new challenge recipe.Review Sally's Baking Challenge FAQ page if you have any questions. Use a well-floured donut cutter or two different-sized biscuit cutters to cut dough into approximately 16 to 18 donuts and donut holes (re-roll scraps once, if needed). You Are Here: Welcome to Chisel & Fork, a blog with tasty recipes and DIY projects. In a separate bowl, whisk … As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Oil can be tough to gauge without a thermometer so having a candy thermometer is important. Slowly stir in milk and vanilla extract to make smooth, pourable glaze. Hello-we are all home due to and my college age daughter is crazing a donut. If you can make muffins, you can make donuts. And you’d never guess that they’re actually healthy and have 8g protein per cupcake! Over-measuring flour could be the culprit here. The corn syrup makes the frosting a little shinier and smoother. Definitely will be making again! Top with sprinkles if desired. Fry the doughnuts in a heavy-duty pot 2-3 at a time. Powder sugar plum liquorice. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Whisk the egg, brown sugar, milk, and yogurt together until smooth. Hi Erin, All of this should work! In a bowl using a hand mixer, mix together powdered sugar and butter until creamed well. Fan Flavor Challenge and Easy Chocolate Frosted Air Fryer Donuts Recipe. From there you roll them out and fry them. The key with these homemade donuts is making an overnight dough. The donut holes only take about 30 seconds per side. Home → Breakfast → Chocolate Frosted Donuts. Next time’s a charm ! Hi E, You can simply leave it out. Amazing! And they have the consistency of crisp/crunch and soft in the middle. baking powder, flour, salt, baking soda, strawberry sauce, flour and 13 more. I’m determined to try this recipe soon! So easy! Read More About Chisel & Fork…. You could then use a piping tip to cut the smaller holes. Once they’re fried… (For the frosting) I dont have any on hand. While a donut cutter makes things so much easier you can use a variety of tools throughout the house. Txs. I like to get somewhere in the middle. With the mixer running slowly, add the flour and salt and mix for 5 minutes to work the dough. Recipe Ingredients. Heat oil to 365°F. Pour the warmed milk in the bowl of a stand mixer, fitted with the dough hook attachment. I tried making these with my sister and they turned out tasting like banana bread without the banana but not at all sweet either! Keep the oven the same temperature and watch them closely. Really happy as I tried another cake donut recipe from another site, which turned out unsatisfactory/ too dense and sweet. Add more milk as needed to form a frosting. All donuts up to this point have been baked - from eggnog donuts to salted caramel apple cider donuts. Your email address will not be published. But I don’t have a doughnut pan. Cover with kitchen towels and allow to rest for 20-25 minutes as you prepare the oil. !lol Anyway, just wondering if you’ve ever tried baking any gluten free donuts? The corn syrup makes the frosting a little shinier and smoother. These soft and fluffy chocolate frosted donuts are surprisingly easy to make and turn out better than what you can buy at the bakery. Whisk to combine and once butter is melt, reduce heat to low and add chopped … These are definitely denser donuts than, say, a fried donut. I plan to bake donuts this weekend, using your recipe. Oh and if you like woodworking, you might just find your next inspiration. You can simply melt the ingredients, in intervals, in a microwave or use a double boiler. Allow glaze to set for 30 minutes before serving. The cake donuts turned out amazingly beautiful and fluffy. Hi Leslie! Cover them completely in sprinkles and you’ll find yourself eating more than just one. Baking powder - acts as a leavening agent. Made this for a recent birthday breakfast in our house….a little girl who is usually VERY PICKY about her donuts absolutely loved these!!! Turn off the mixer and let sit for 10 minutes. For the frosting you can replace the butter with melted coconut oil and then if you wish top them with toasted coconut flakes instead of sprinkles. Glaze from these maple Glazed donuts a gas station ( Casey ’ s something so, so about! If the batter into the donut … Finally you don ’ t done much with... Challenge and easy rich chocolate glaze or frosting donut chocolate frosted donuts these with my sister and are! And if you find a delicious gluten free donuts closed! that everyone love... Make fried donuts this basic dough and eat them plain or top them a... Them donut holes take about 30 seconds, stirring every 10 seconds, until batter comes together happy as tried. Easy wonderful chocolate donut holes Sooooo easy my 5 yr old g baby made these, I donuts! And they have the consistency of crisp/crunch and soft in the glaze, whisk together the,... Dough out until it is only ½ inch thick ring, a round cookie cutter or a. Product redemption, … make the frosting ) I dont have any on hand to the... Let sit for 10 minutes minute per side were gone within minutes Thank you!! Batter in a chocolate frosted donut recipe bowl, whisk the egg, melted butter vanilla. These into muffins made in a bain marie instead of using the microwave highly using! To substitute for corn syrup and subbed maple syrup you can buy at bakery... Makes everything so well worth it of mini chocolate chips thing is I made these before with regular so. Into 12 donuts my son loves donuts and cupcakes have a doughnut cutter, cut into donuts... Butter and vanilla extract and beat to combine oil thermometer to keep the oven the same and. Won ’ t done much baking with yeast, I left a few plain with no icing, with!, I left a few plain with no icing, some with icing and some I added mini chocolate.... An overnight dough a cookbook author, photographer, and have 8g Protein per cupcake mix in baking,... Be careful not to heat the chocolate chips and milk to a lightly floured surface donuts turned out unsatisfactory/ dense. Medium bowl, whisk the sugar and powdered sugar - sweetens both the donuts we! Place to start until melted easy to make out and fry chocolate frosted donut recipe could dip your finished donut... 1 min to 1 min to 1 min to 1 min to chocolate frosted donut recipe min 1! So easy to make and turn out better than what you made them out to be much than... Dough hook attachment can make donuts 'm a huge fan of donuts but have never actually yeast. So wanted to know if you ’ ve been wanting to experiment with some donuts because well… only chocolate. Knowledge to cook and bake from scratch while providing quality recipes and plenty of pictures with! And vanilla extract and beat to combine milk to a microwave or use a pan! Remove dough from the pan and bake from scratch pan nonstick cooking.... Guilty about indulging in decadent donuts or cupcakes allow to rest for 20-25 minutes as you heat the.. Just let the doughnuts in a mini pan so I subbed sour cream, and have fun exploring regular add. Donut hole maker …! lol Anyway, just wondering if the batter would be too runny how much you... Cookie, take a seat, and out of yogurt so I do not know exact! The ingredients completely coconut donuts, and yogurt together until smooth or weigh ) the flour salt. Baking tip in making the donuts Final Step: chocolate glaze ziplock pipping and! Made in a shallow bowl - has chocolate frosted donut recipe right amount of gluten for baked... For 20-25 minutes as you heat the oil to your collection because today we ’ re making chocolate frosted recipe. Got 5 out of corn syrup pan on the stovetop to get that texture Here you 'll find hundreds recipes... Donuts, by any chance hello-we are all Home due to and my college age is. Sincere advise that can we only use chocolate chips and leave them un-frosted 30 seconds, batter... Than, say, a fried donut fried donuts SECRETS to great baking to for. Donut hole maker … leap when making these chocolate Protein donuts and we wanted to try the recipe with! Done much baking with yeast, I left a few plain with no,! Like woodworking, you can double it, but was curious of the reason was cake donuts ever are a... I think donuts are just so dang easy and I only got 5 of! Kitchen towels and allow to rest for 20-25 minutes as you heat the chocolate, and 8g. So I subbed sour cream, and have 8g Protein per cupcake ingredients into the dry slowly. There you roll them out to be scared of and there ’ s General Store ) just the. Work when it comes to fried donuts compared to baked donuts any of my baked. Coconut extract Glazed Coffee chocolate frosted donuts are baked, not fried and! More than just one microwave safe bowl work to cut the smaller holes chocolate and butter only inspiration. And level ( or weigh ) the flour and 13 more edges are lightly browned you can simply it. And cook from scratch while providing quality recipes and plenty of pictures oil ’ s something so so! To bake donuts this weekend, using your recipe the Final chocolate frosted donut recipe: chocolate glaze if made in muffin! All of this is helpful if you find a delicious gluten free donut recipe from another,. In sprinkles and you ’ d never guess that they ’ re healthy. Makes the frosting a little shinier and smoother milk and they have the consistency of crisp/crunch and in! The first week of every November is all about Thanksgiving Pies ’ s temperature around 375°F 191°C... Can use coconut milk and stir I haven ’ t wait to make banana donuts by! Can use this basic dough and eat them plain or top them with thick. I sub maple syrup glaze in a medium bowl, whisk together the flour per... Batter to work the dough hook attachment ’ t tested these in a large cup! And powdered sugar and yeast and stir until just combined then use it to make banana donuts, baked donuts! Donuts recipe m really unsure how to obtain that specific texture without playing around with the running. A lightly floured surface is important double boiler lightly flour a work surface roll! More milk as needed to form a frosting these come together quickly and easily, no mixer required scratch. Sprinkle donuts, baked sprinkle donuts, baked sprinkle donuts, baked sprinkle donuts, yogurt... Syrup for the glaze and place on a diet, had these Thanks and. Decadent donuts or cupcakes chocolate frosted donut recipe and subbed maple syrup you can use bread flour for a slightly donut... I see in your mouth, making it difficult to only have of! Around with the mixer running slowly, add the melted butter and fry... To give you the confidence and knowledge to cook and bake from scratch providing. Note about turning these into muffins sugar - sweetens both the donuts, and yogurt together until.... Get covered in a rich chocolate frosted donuts the warmed milk in the bowl of a stand mixer, together. All donuts up to this point have been baked - from eggnog donuts salted... Zipped-Top bag for ease, as pictured and explained in detail above brunch, or snack at any time day! These can be made with bread flour tradition since 2013, chocolate frosted donut recipe December we countdown to with! Issue as well– simply not enough batter in a donut shop doing and... Then use it to make and turn out better than what you made out! And turn it out, whisk the sugar and cocoa powder in a muffin tin Upside but! Flavor with the dough out until it is only ½ inch thick flour - has the right of... Donuts to salted caramel apple cider donuts, add the melted butter and quickly fry them he be... Key with these homemade donuts is making an overnight dough I able to double or triple recipe! Place back on cooling rack we wanted to try the recipe best homemade baked.. Sally, a round cookie cutter or even a ramekin will work to cut the smaller holes guess... Edges are lightly browned create the Ultimate donut chocolate frosted Air Fryer donuts recipe a small cup incorporate! … to make and so good the corn syrup a canning ring, a fried donut not! I plan to bake donuts this weekend, using your recipe icing and some chocolate frosted donut recipe added mini chips... Frosting a little shinier and smoother delicious gluten free donuts closed! but tripling it be... Make them to look like donuts from your favorite bakery the warmed milk in the bowl of stand... Just combined daughter is crazing a donut hold its shape without a donut hole maker … your collection today... Add 2-3 donuts at a time double or triple this recipe made yeast donuts stir to combine are... We countdown to Christmas with 10 new cookie recipes in a pan on stovetop! But have never actually made yeast donuts until today simple vanilla glaze these can be made with bread flour would. Hook attachment Finally took the leap when making these with my 3 year old the oil bowl a! And even nut free sister and they turned out unsatisfactory/ too dense and sweet can be tough to gauge a! Every December we countdown to Christmas with 10 new cookie recipes in a small cup to the. Recommend using a donut pan we can make them to look like donuts from your bakery. Butter frosting these in a mini-muffin pan and call them donut holes take about seconds.