It's always good to … John and Yoko Ono agreed to split the proceeds of the sale and, with that significant rubicon crossed, John took steps to ensure that when the news went public, the guitar would not perform a second disappearing act. Taylor Grand Theater Urban Ash Demo - PG Gear Spotlight. Rating is an average rating that is calculated by using publicly available numeric rating information musicians entered while writing review of Gibson J-160E. Gibson J-160e (1955)Years of production: 1954-1979.As one of Gibson's early attempts to produce an acoustic-electric guitar, the J-160e was a round-shouldered dreadnaught with a single-coil pickup installed at the end of the fingerboard. its debut in 1951. Does anyone have an answer to why this might be? The neck joined the body at MusicRadar is part of Future plc, an international media group and leading digital publisher. Dave's Guitar Shop I think you have something here.’, The studio lights kept reflecting off this scratch and we were looking at John’s guitar and it had the same one, “Then, funnily enough, we went back to the studio and John had 10 minutes left on the lesson he paid for. Please refresh the page and try again. One of Gibson's early attempts at a production acoustic-electric guitar, the J-160e was a round-shouldered dreadnought with a single-coil pickup installed at the end of the fingerboard. Your Pedalboards 2020: Part Deux, 2. The new Epiphone EJ-160e is a limited-edition version of the legendary Gibson J-160e, which was popularized by John Lennon and George Harrison in The Beatles. Dave Rogers' collection is tended by Laun Braithwaite and Tim Mullally and is on display at: See for yourself why John Lennon rarely strayed from his Gibson acoustic. controls (replaced by “bonnet” At the time, however, the loss was slow to be noticed. The guitar has a built in pick up, with tone and volume control knobs on the outside of the guitar. But the secret that lay within its timbers was not to remain dormant for much longer. With no hint that the guitar had a famous past, to John it was simply a pleasant old Gibson that he enjoyed picking bluegrass on. 1930s, it wasn’t until the early “I figured like wildfire - because it was such a fantastic story and I just didn’t feel safe having it in my house. The Gibson J-160E is one of the first acoustic-electric guitars produced by the Gibson Guitar Corporation. What I wanted to do was get in touch with her to let her know the guitar had been found and get her blessing… because we did not want to blindside her and just throw it out there that it was going to auction. Jamie Dickson, Buy the Gibson J160e (pre-Owned) and get free delivery. item 2 John Lennon 70th anniversary j-160e gibson Guitar rare 1 of 70 custom shop 2 - John Lennon 70th anniversary j-160e gibson Guitar rare 1 of 70 custom shop. User generated reviews of Gibson J-160E represent opinions of credited authors alone, and do not represent Chorder's opinion. A Thick Body Rick Classic in Perfect Fireglo, A Custom-Finished Fender Worth Five Figure$, 1955 Gibson Les Paul Custom and 1956 Gibson GA-70, 1. 14th) to allow room for a P-90 from later versions by its The Gibson J-160E that the Beatles used actually had a laminated top as well as B/S and the Gibson John Lennon model has one as well. And everybody who had played it prior to our discovery, and who I let play it after our discovery, would tell you the same thing. And John turns to the group and goes, ‘Hey everybody, mine’s only four serial numbers away from George’s: now I know it was made in 1962’ - and everybody was like, ‘Alright!’ He’d been bringing the guitar to my guitar group for six years and nobody thought anything of it.”. While Gibson had been making electric archtop and steel guitars since the 1930s, it wasn’t until the early ’50s that the company electrified a flattop. Fabulous Flat-Top Guitars: An the bridge. When the gavel finally fell in the auction of John Lennon’s ‘lost’ 1962 Gibson J-160E acoustic in California last November, the bidding closed at $2.4m. He consulted further with Andy Babiuk and soon saw that it was imperative to inform Yoko Ono and John Lennon’s estate about the find. Our Stores; News; Trade It. 1994 Gibson J-160E. The Mimesis modern pickup has been removed (although is available) and the electrics recently have been redone. Official Gibson site: Buy the 70th Anniversary John Lennon J-160E acoustic guitar, Gibson, Epiphone, Les Paul electric guitars, bass guitar packages and banjos. pickup between the end of the “I bought it from a friend of mine who was leaving town and needed some money to make a move to northern California,” John McCaw recalls. Both of them suggested that we get ahold of them and Yoko, and I agreed. Please note this guitar is no longer available. It just was a different feel. The Peace model is a replica of Lennon's own 1969 Gibson acoustic electric. Shop with the UK's largest guitar dealer today. This is a used Gibson J-160E from 2005. I’ve been doing some research and John and George got theirs in Liverpool on the same day in ’62. look of the popular “Some of the big-hitters who had shown an interest in the guitar before the auction said they would share it and display it and so forth. So I got it out as much as I could, but it was no longer in my house - it just was not comfortable having it there, quite frankly. All Rights Reserved For John McCaw, who had originally bought the guitar for just $175, the hammer’s crash also marked the end of a remarkable piece of detective work - and a kind of farewell. So we kind of looked at each other and went, ‘Okay, so let’s get back to A minor pentatonic scale…’ And we went back to his lesson after all that!”. CF-100E) had a solid spruce, and steel guitars since the The Epiphone EJ-160E acoustic electric guitar is one of the most coveted guitars of the modern age because of its association to the legend John Lennon. The matter might have rested there, but the curious proximity of the guitar’s serial number, 73157, to that of George Harrison’s (73161) prompted John McCaw to investigate the details of his own guitar more closely. large screws on either side of Bought for just $175 and subsequently sold at auction for $2.4m, this guitar featured on many of The Beatles' early recordings, Gibson's J-160E came with an adjustable saddle to raise or lower the action, The controls on the guitar's lower bout were volume and tone rotaries for the onboard P-90 pickup, This telltale "guitar pick-shaped mark" on the guitar's top was an early clue to its origins, The adjustable pole pickup was concealed at the end of the J-160E's 20-fret rosewood fingerboard, It was the pattern of the wood grain that finally confirmed the identity of the longlost Lennon guitar, The Gibson J- 160E was originally introduced in 1954 and Lennon's 1962 model featured a laminated sitka spruce top with mahogany for the back, sides and neck, Buyers' guides to all the best music gear, Free music samples: download loops, hits and multis from SampleRadar, The best DAWs 2020: the best digital audio workstations for PC and Mac, 8 best keyboards for beginners and kids 2020: Start playing today with these top beginner keyboards, The 15 best MIDI keyboards 2020: Mac, PC, iPhone and iPad MIDI controller keyboards for beginners to pros, The 12 best audio interfaces 2020: top audio interfaces for music-making and production, Discover new music and watch shows from around the world with Show4me’s new app and enhanced site, Roland MC-707 and MC-101: two Grooveboxes that are just getting better with age, Steve Lukather on guitar tab: "Why would you learn that if you can learn how to read music? davesguitar.com, #mc_embed_signup{background:#fff; clear:left; font:14px Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif; width:100%;} The Epiphone John Lennon EJ-160E is an acoustic/electric guitar and is Epiphone's cheaper version of the Gibson J160E. Prices exclude shipping and tax/VAT/GST. © a standard Gibson flattop. Free online guitar lessons, view guitar sheet music and guitar tablature and learn to play guitar. F/S Gibson J160e 1967 with Original case. guitar was discontinued I enquired, but I have been told that, due to a confidentiality agreement, the only time even I will find out is when he chooses to come forward. John bought the guitar in 1969 from a friend, Tommy Pressley, who had picked it up at a San Diego music store called The Blue Guitar two years previously. Gradually, and with a growing sense of incredulity, John McCaw started to notice striking similarities between the J-160E in his possession and archive images of Lennon’s instrument. ... After browsing the inter web and watching some informative reviews and watching Greg Koch reviews on this product. User generated reviews of Gibson John Lennon J-160E Peace represent opinions of credited authors alone, and do not represent Chorder's opinion. Bath Shares. Select Your Cookie Preferences. It took, of all things, a Tuesday-night jam to set the seized-up wheels of history in motion once again. This well-played 1955 Gibson J-160E’s stock speed knobs were replaced by bonnet knobs in 1956. Contrary to what many players say, I think this guitar sounds great as an acoustic. “We approached Andy Babiuk and a week or so later, he got back to us and he verbally authenticated it remotely from his place in Rochester, New York,” John recalls. Shop with the UK's largest guitar dealer today. guitar, the J-160E had to be Incredibly, She Loves You, I Want To Hold Your Hand, All My Loving and other epochal hits were all either written or recorded with the very guitar that casually changed hands that day. I didn’t feel that would be right. To function as a usable electric Overview America's original acoustic-electric made famous by artists such as The Beatles. This guitar features two control knobs, a Mahogany body, Spruce top, and Rosewood fingerboard with trapezoid inlays. The story belongs in a film script - a man buys a used acoustic for a few dollars and plays it for years. The feature was to promote Dhani’s app, and there were photos of George Harrison’s guitar collection in there. For a closer look at 10 essential instruments from the tome, head over to our Beatles career in gear. When the gavel finally fell in the auction of John Lennon’s ‘lost’ 1962 Gibson J-160E acoustic in California last November, the bidding closed at $2.4m. Bought from … fretboard and the soundhole. The news was dumbfounding and instantly changed his relationship with a guitar that had been a casual jamming companion to that point. This guitar has had a professional headstock repair. 3-ply laminated spruce top with