Owned and operated by AZoNetwork, © 2000-2020. Smoking shisha is not as harmful as other ways of smoking tobacco, for two reasons: 1) The smoke is drawn through water. And this summer, Birmingham's three PCTs will launch a city-wide tobacco control strategy, which includes increasing the awareness of shisha smoking. Prohibiting shisha smoking in places with active bans on cigarette and other forms of tobacco smoking. The opinions expressed here are the views of the writer and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of News Medical. Many people think that drawing tobacco smoke through water makes shisha less harmful than cigarettes, but that’s not true. "Is Smoking Shisha Harmful?". Well, quite a lot, actually, as the latest study into the harmful effects of shisha smoking makes clear in minute detail. The tobacco smoke passes through a water chamber and is inhaled deeply and slowly; the fruit-flavoured tobacco tastes smooth and smells sweet, enthusiasts say, making it an enjoyable and unrushed experience. How harmful is shisha smoking? And he's not alone. This is a myth, as the smoke still contains carbon monoxide, a harmful compound, and other toxins. Smoking shisha can cause the following harmful effects: On average, shisha smokers seem to absorb a higher concentration of toxic smoke than cigarette smokers. Labelling shisha products with the appropriate health warnings and prohibiting those which are misleading (i.e. Household composition and ethnicity may contribute to higher COVID-19 mortality: a UK case study, TTUHSC professor receives 2020 Lupus Mechanisms and Targets Award, Researchers uncover potential glycine-based treatment for NAFLD. But the carcinogens and nicotine are still there. Facts show that it is even more risky and harmful to health than cigarettes. Due to the fact that users are not always aware of the harms associated … https://www.news-medical.net/health/Is-Smoking-Shisha-Harmful.aspx. Hookah smoking, also known as narghile, shisha, and goza, originated in ancient Persia and India and has been used for over 4 centuries. It's a phenomenon that has worried primary care trusts (PCTs) across the UK, which think that, unlike cigarette smokers, shisha users are unaware of the health risks. It’s strange really: everyone knows about the extremely harmful nature of cigarettes, but smoking shisha is somehow widely considered to be a completely safe, risk-free practice. "After a long day, I'll go to a shisha lounge. 2) A lot of people don't inhale the pipe smoke. between patient and physician/doctor and the medical advice they may provide. The water in shisha does not filter out these components. Additionally, even though the water in a shisha pipe acts as a filter, it is not actually effective in removing high levels of toxic products, such as carbon monoxide, heavy metals, and carcinogens which are present in the smoke that shisha produces. In a typical shisha session (about 1 hour), a shisha smoker can inhale the same amount of toxins as a cigarette smoker consuming over 100 cigarettes. It's just nice to have it bubbling in the background when I'm studying.". (accessed December 03, 2020). Why Shisha is Worse Than Cigarettes. You will soon find out some health facts about shisha smoking. Tobacco, like cigarette, contains nicotine, tar, carbon monoxide and heavy metals such as arsenic and lead. Smoking shisha is a form of smoking tobacco that was established in Persia and India centuries ago. But shisha smoking is far from benign. It’s strange really: everyone knows about the extremely harmful nature of cigarettes, but smoking shisha is somehow widely considered to be a completely safe, risk-free practice. A shisha smoker inhales 90,000 milliliters of smoke during one session, compared to only 500 milliliters inhaled by a cigarette smoker. Is Smoking Shisha Harmful?. "But I have to concur with the WHO. Thus, using it risks the spread of infectious diseases including bacterial by tuberculosis, fungal by aspergillus (affecting the lungs), helicobacter (responsible for stomach ulcers) and viral by herpes and hepatitis. It relaxes me. Novel cannabis plant extracts could protect against COVID-19, Healthy diet plays vital role in warding off COVID-19, Asymptomatic patients have higher SARS-CoV-2 viral loads than symptomatic patients, study says. However, it couldn’t be further from the truth. Toxins from the shisha smoke enter the bloodstream and contribute to atherosclerosis that in turn hardens and narrows arteries. This allows to assume that one session of smoking shisha is about as harmful as smoking a pack of cigarettes (CDC). On the website of the Bahrain Anti-Smoking Society it says: Many people believe that smoking shisha is less serious than smoking cigarettes, because of the prevalent belief that when the smoke passes through the water in the shisha pipe, it removes harmful substances from the smoke and thus reduces the harm that results from smoking shisha. Is smoking shisha … Retrieved on December 03, 2020 from https://www.news-medical.net/health/Is-Smoking-Shisha-Harmful.aspx. "Is Smoking Shisha Harmful?". A single puff from a water pipe nearly equals the volume of smoke inhaled from an entire cigarette, while one session of “shisha” can equal smoking 20 … Taking shisha exposes you to tobacco smoke, which contains harmful components, such as carbon monoxide. But a niche tobacco expert from a London local authority suggests the WHO findings are "alarmist", pointing out that there's not yet been enough research into the long-term effects of shisha smoking. Traditionally shisha tobacco contains cigarette tobacco, so like cigarettes it contains nicotine, tar, carbon monoxide and heavy metals, such as arsenic and lead. How harmful is it? Shisha Takes Longer Time. In the same way that some people will enjoy a glass of red wine or need a cigarette to keep going while they're working, I like to enjoy my shisha. So, with all the conflicting evidence, are the health concerns around shisha just a load of hot air? Other myths about hookah smoking include: Hookah smoking … Shisha is as harmful as cigarettes. The filtration through the water doesn’t filter out the harmful tobacco smoke although the exotic flavours mask the tobacco taste and make it easier to smoke shisha for longer periods at a time. https://www.bhf.org.uk/heart-health/risk-factors/smoking/shisha, http://www.mouthcancerfoundation.org/patients-guide/smoking-hookah, http://www.cdc.gov /tobacco/data_statistics/fact_sheets/tobacco_industry/hookahs/, http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/quit-smoking/expert-answers/hookah/faq-20057920, http://journalism.london/2015/04/is-shisha-harmful-to-your-health/, https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/causes-of-cancer/smoking-and-cancer/e-cigarettes-smokeless-tobacco-and-shisha, http://www.cdc.gov/features/hookahsmoking/, https://www.cdph.ca.gov/programs/tobacco/Documents/Finish%20The%20Fight/Hookah_New%20Subpage%20Copy.pdf, https://monitoringthefuture.org/pubs/monographs/mtf-overview2014.pdf, http://www.lungusa2.org/embargo/slati/Trendalert_Waterpipes.pdf, https://www.healthxchange.com.sg/healthyliving/ManagingChronicIllnesses/Pages/Shisha-200-Times-More-Harmful-Than-Cigarettes.aspx. So a regular shisha smoker can expect to be at risk to the similar health problems that cigarette smokers face, whether that's respiratory, heart disease or cancer. Shisha smoking provides almost the same amount of nicotine to users as cigarettes do therefore nicotine addiction is an unsurprising consequence. Photograph: Teri Pengilley for the Guardian, or Jawad Rezavi, 26, smoking shisha is the perfect way to unwind in an evening. More info. In this interview, News-Medical talks to Dr. Jan Westerink about recent studies into Novo Nordisk’s semaglutide and its potential benefits for Type 2 Diabetes patients, that he and Novo Nordisk collaborated on. Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report: Khetrapal, Afsaneh. As is the assumption that the cooler tobacco from Shisha is less damaging to the lungs. There are also risks associated with the way in which shisha smoking is socially practiced. "The research on shisha is admittedly limited," concedes Anis. This is on top of health conditions like impaired pulmonary function, heart disease and reduced fertility. If you watch the way people smoke shisha, they take deliberate, deep breaths before exhaling so there is a lot of smoke being inhaled. ", It is growing in popularity but some experts say a single shisha session is the same as smoking 200 cigarettes, Jawad Rezavi: "It relaxes me." It relaxes me. F or Jawad Rezavi, 26, smoking shisha is the perfect way to unwind in an evening. Shisha is usually made up of tobacco, molasses/sugar, and fruit flavourings. Researches have proven that shisha is more harmful and has more effect on the body than cigarettes, considering the amount of smoke and time of smoking sessions.. 1. Please note that medical information found Smoking water pipes can be more harmful than cigarettes, world health experts have warned. Meanwhile, the Niche Tobacco Advisory Group (NTAG) for North England recently introduced an educational campaign on shisha smoking. He began smoking regularly five years ago and helped his father establish a shisha cafe. As with any other tobacco product, I expect regular shisha smokers will find it addictive, to the point that they may need it every day.". The shisha health effects are a must-know to everyone. Smoking shisha could increase the spread of Coronavirus. "It's part of my routine. 2019. Is Smoking Shisha Harmful?. Smoking water pipes can be more harmful than cigarettes, world health experts have warned. Taking shisha exposes you to tobacco smoke, which contains harmful components, such as carbon monoxide. Khetrapal, Afsaneh. Shisha smoke is often laced with carcinogens or cancer causing substances. A single puff from a water pipe nearly equals the volume of smoke inhaled from an entire cigarette, while one session of "shisha" can equal smoking 20 to 30 cigarettes in one go, a conference has been told. The findings have cast doubt on the belief that smoking shisha is typically less toxic than smoking cigarettes. ". By continuing to browse this site you agree to our use of cookies. The apparatus which is used consists of a water pipe with a chamber for smoke, a bowl, a pipe and a hose. Specially made tobacco is heated, and the smoke passes through water and is then drawn through a … Dr Khalid Anis, chairman of NTAG in Manchester, says: "There's a misconception that shisha is not as bad for you as cigarettes, because the tobacco is flavoured and passes through water first. "I know that, but at the end of the day it's just something I enjoy. There are also risks associated with the way in which shisha smoking is socially practiced. In the same way that some people will enjoy a glass of red wine or need a cigarette to keep going while they're working, I like to enjoy my shisha. – has become quite common in the last 20 years. Of course, she isn’t always immersed in all things science and literary; her free time involves a lot of oil painting and beach-side walks too. It is smoked through a water pipe that is heated by charcoal to produce the smoke. "It is ludicrous and anti-scientific to claim that hookah or shisha smoke is 200 times more toxic than cigarette smoke," he says. Khetrapal, Afsaneh. All of them produce certain vapors that are not good when inhaled into our system. If I don't do it, it feels like I'm missing something.". It relaxes me. During her time here her love for neuroscience and scientific journalism only grew and have now steered her into a career with the journal, Scientific Reports under Springer Nature. implying safety). A lot of people believe that smoking shisha is safer than smoking cigarettes, but this is not true. on this website is designed to support, not to replace the relationship While tobacco smoking takes about 5 minutes, a single shisha session extends to about an hour owing to it’s the sweet smell and cool smoke. This removes a lot of the tars. The cafe closed down after the smoking ban came into effect in 2007, but Rezavi still smokes six times a week, either at home or at one of his favourite shisha bars with friends. Unfortunately, this is a misconception. Usually shared between friends shisha is now associated with Middle Eastern cafe culture, but has become increasingly popular in the UK in recent years with cafes popping up in cities across the country. Smoking is harmful to your health be it tobacco free or not. The smoke you’re inhaling may be bubbling up through water and taste and smell like candy. You will therefore have less chance of chest problems, but you will still be taking in nicotine, which is addictive.----- If I don't do it, it feels like I'm missing something. "Many people have the misconception that shisha smoking is harmless, thinking the water-filled pipe filters out toxic chemicals. Hookah smoking is not safer than cigarette smoking. Sometimes people assume smoking shisha is less harmful than smoking cigarettes. Shisha, the origins of which are disputed (some say India, others Persia or Turkey) is a glass-bottomed water pipe in which fruit-flavoured tobacco is covered with foil and roasted with charcoal. Interestingly, it is thought that the original shisha used a water pipe carved from a coconut shell and milk to filter opium or hashish. Unlike cigarettes, shisha is burnt using charcoal or wood cinders so users can also be exposed to incredibly high levels of carbon monoxide gas. Dr. Albert Rizzo speaks to News-Medical about the importance of wearing masks to help control the spread of COVID-19. This is why shisha smoking is harmful. Rezavi, a student from London, tried his first shisha when he was 16. here is what i found: Smoking shisha however may not only be as dangerous as smoking cigarettes (according to the WHO), but has added health hazards due to the heat involved and the charcoal burning (releasing more cancer-causing substances and heavy metals) and sharing of the pipe (infectious agents such as tuberculosis, hepatitis A, Helicobacter pylori, pulmonary aspergillosis, may … "After a long day, I'll go to a shisha lounge. However, the practice is more harmful than cigarette smoking. Dr al-Mulla explained that all kinds of tobacco products are considered harmful to health as they negatively impact the health of the lungs; however, smoking shisha … The lining of the arteries also get damaged from the smoke leading to the accumulation of a fatty deposit (atheroma) which narrows the artery. How Does Shisha Compare to Cigarette Smoking? According to Chaouachi, studies led by independent researchers at the Royal University of Saudi Arabia have shown that shisha smoke is 30 times less concentrated in chemicals than cigarette smoke, contradicting the WHO's warnings. These include: Afsaneh graduated from Warwick University with a First class honours degree in Biomedical science. Earlier this year, Leicester PCT's Stop Smoking service said it had seen an alarming rise in the number of teenagers in the city smoking shisha. Smoking a shisha pipe is as bad for people as smoking tobacco, the Department of Health and the Tobacco Control Collaborating Centre has found. And studies show that one hour of smoking shisha can be as damaging to health as smoking 100 cigarettes. Cigarettes, bidi and shisha Smoking increases your risk of cancer , heart disease and respiratory problems . Dr Kamal Chaouachi, a tobacco expert who teaches at Paris IX University and has researched shisha for 15 years, says comparing shisha with cigarettes "amounts to comparing oranges to apples". Khetrapal, Afsaneh. Image Copyright: Chubykin Arkady / Shutterstock. ", Rezavi is unconvinced by the arguments. The apparatus is generally smoked in special bars and the mouthpiece provided may not be hygienic to use due to improper cleaning. "A hookah (Seesha) is a single or multi-stemmed instrument for vaporizing and smoking flavored tobacco or cannabis, called shisha, whose vapor or smoke is Revealing the truth whether flavored hookah without tobacco is harmful or not. it’s conjointly referred to as chicha, narwhale, argileh, water pipe, goza or Hubble bubble smoking. In fact, a shisha smoker will inhale 100 to 200 times the amount of smoke produced by a single cigarette in one hour, as people smoking shisha take more and deeper puffs from the waterpipe. Traditionally, shisha tobacco contains cigarette. According to research carried out by the World Health Organisation (WHO), the volume of smoke inhaled in an hour-long shisha session is estimated to be the equivalent of smoking between 100 and 200 cigarettes. We use cookies to enhance your experience. Although many people who smoke shisha think it is less harmful, Shisha smoking has most of the same health risks associated with cigarette smoking. 03 December 2020. This is partially due to characteristics in the way that shisha smoking is practiced such as the frequency of puffing and depth of inhalation compared to cigarette smoking. With its sweet aroma wafting from numerous bars and cafes in Victoria, people often mistakenly think that it must be less harmful … Typically, the length of a shisha session is an hour, during which the user may inhale up to 200 times the volume of smoke inhaled from a cigarette.