Dragon wing begonias prefer average room temperatures, a healthy dose of water several times each week, average to high humidity levels and moist soils. The plant is known for its shiny and dark green attractive leaves, which are wing-shaped and long, often growing up to 8” inches. The Rieger begonia is also known as the Begonia x hiemalis or hiemalis begonia. Begonias that do best in the landscape generally fall into three groups: wax begonias, cane or angel-wing begonias, and rhizomatous begonias. Ein absoluter Hingucker unter den Begonien ist die Drachenflügel-Begonie 'Dragon Wing® Red'. Noted for its tolerance to hot and humid weather, Begonia 'Dragon Wing Red' is famed for its lush and attractive, angel-wing shaped, shiny, dark green foliage and its cascades of dangling clusters of scarlet-red flowers. Begonia Care in Winter. Quick Facts. It’s almost never out of bloom, producing an endless supply of red, pendulous blooms. By entering your email address you agree to receive a daily email newsletter from Plant Care Today. The plants are generous mixers in containers. When it comes to watering dragon red wing begonia, watering less is better than over-watering because the plant is somewhat drought tolerant. When cold weather comes your Dragon Wing will look a bit scraggly. I just got Dragons Wing Begonias. Like the bedding plant known as wax begonia, cane begonias do not have a tuberous bulb, only a vigorous root system. Angel Wing begonias (Begonia aconititolia x coccinea) are one of the easiest types of begonias to grow. Choose a warm, humid, partly sunny indoor spot for your begonias. Dragon Wing Begonia Care Here’s what you need to know • Where to Plant: Patio containers, pots, hanging baskets, flower beds • Light Requirements: Sun or shade (this is what makes it so unique!). When it comes to soil types, loamy and sandy soils are the best choices for growing the dragon wing. My husband bought me another four plants at a local nursery and I planted them in the same area. Red begonias thrives in light, rich, moist and well-draining soil. How Do You Use Diatomaceous Earth For Caterpillar Control? However, it cannot tolerate much cold and is winter hardy to USDA hardiness zones 9 to 11. Q: I planted 'Dragon Begonias' this year on the advice of a friend after complaining that NOTHING would flower in my shady yard. Reduce the fertilizing to once a month in fall and winter. Die auf dem Bild sind neu geholt dies Jahr. You can expect sprays of white, pink or red flowers in late spring and summer. I know for a fact that begonias thrive in cool temperatures. Dragon wing begonias are often confused with the Angel-wing begonia. All cane begonia plants have long stems with “joints” on them. Ob im Kübel, auf Balkonen oder im Beet - mit ihren farbenfrohen Blüten verschönern die ausgesprochen pflegeleichten Pflanzen jede Umgebung! Add to cart. It produces large scarlet blossoms on lush glossy green foliage. Red wing begonia attracts hummingbirds but is deer and rabbit resistant. Begonia ‘Bonfire,’ a selection of B. boliviensis that we all wondered out loud together … Common Name: Begonia: Hardiness Zone: 1-13S/W: Exposure: Sun to Shade: Find your zone? To start, this type of begonia will not actively grow through the winter; in fact, they will need to go dormant to survive the season. It can grow up to 60 cm tall and will spread about as wide. In fall and winter, feed monthly. I know this because they are at their best (growing robustly, healthy and blooming) in the spring and fall. I presently have 34 plants that grow to the size shown in the photo. Grüßle: nach oben: Caro Mitglied Beiträge: 646: Erstellt: 11.07.13, 17:27 Betreff: Re: Begonia "Dragon wing" drucken weiterempfehlen: Wir meinen schon dasselbe, glaube ich. The leaves and flowers of begonia plants grow out of these joints. When grown in other USDA zones, it is recommended to dig up the dragon wing begonias before the beginning of the frost season or bring the containers indoors. • Water Requirements: Regular watering as needed. Begonien sind wegen ihrer eindrucksvollen Blüten in Europa sehr beliebt. Angel-wing begonia has spots or a frosted pattern on the leaves whereas the leaves of dragon wing does not have any variation. Noted for its tolerance to hot and humid weather, Begonia 'Dragon Wing Red' is famed for its lush and attractive, angel-wing shaped, shiny, dark green foliage and its cascades of dangling clusters of scarlet-red flowers. I read that all begoinas are poisonous to cats, and then I read that they aren't. Dragon wing begonia is a fast-growing plant that benefits from an occasional trim any time during the growing season. If the plant gets leggy indoors, take eight-inch long cuttings, strip off all but the top leaves and … If you enjoy growing flowering plants outdoors, you're sure to recognize and appreciate begonias (Begonia spp.) It can sometimes get affected by chewing insects, root rot (overwatering) and powdery mildew, but they hardly ever go beyond control. Dragon Wing Red Begonia features dainty nodding red orchid-like flowers at the ends of the stems from mid spring to mid fall. Dragon Wing Begonias are some of the best annuals we know, and this red-flowering variety is no exception. There are many varieties of begonia, from perennial to tuberous, but my absolute favorite heat-tolerant variety of Begonia × hybrida is ‘Dragon Wing’. The underside of the plant leaf is usually a deep red. Most gardeners simple lift them from the ground (or window box) and plant them in a pot that’s set before a sunny window. However, make sure to not over-water. Flowering and Fragrance. Like others in the begonia family, the dragon wing species are tropical flowering plants. Store the plants in a dormant condition in a cool and dry place through the winter season. Begonias that live inside during the winter should be repotted in the spring to pots one size larger; the soil should be lightly packed and allow for some air to enter around the roots. Dragon Wing prefers moisture but will tolerate short periods of drought. SCIENTIFIC NAME: GROWERS HINTS: Dragon Wing is one of the best angel wing type begonias to come along in years. This plant is known for its shiny and dark green attractive leaves, which are wing-shaped and long, often growing up to 8” inches. The Angel Wing begonia has long cane-like stems and large, colorful leaves that are shaped like angels’ wings. I HAVE SO MANY BEGONIAS IN MY CARE OVER HERE, I could probably do a ‘Begonia of the Week’ series all gardening season long. Browse and purchase gardening books by Walter Reeves, plus select titles by other authors. Fertilizer: Feed your begonias lightly throughout the winter. (That’s it, waking up.) The original plant was a cross between a standard wax begonia and a tuberous begonia and has since evolved into a thriving category of its own. Water your Angel Wing begonia when the potting soil begins to feel dry to the touch. The cuttings will root in four weeks. Add to cart . Take care to fertilize when the soil is already moist to avoid fertilizer burn. Tuberous begonias are a little different than the other types of begonias that we have looked at in this guide. Division is another method for propagating dragon wings. Temperature: Keep your begonias between 65° to 73° F during the day, and no colder than 55° F at night. The tubers can be saved over the winter and planted again the next spring for another year of showy color. Like the bedding plant known as wax begonia, cane begonias do not have a tuberous bulb, only a vigorous root system. See more ideas about Begonia, Container gardening, Plants. It can grow up to 60 cm tall and will spread about as wide. Dragon Wing Begonia Care Size & Growth. When it comes to watering dragon red wing begonia, watering less is better than over-watering … Wing begonias are prone to mealybugs, whitefly pest infestations. It doesn’t need any grooming or maintenance; not even deadheading. Dragon Wing Begonia is a 2- to 3-foot tall, cane-forming begonia with deep, glossy-green, 5-inch long leaves and drooping clusters of flowers. Examples include hybrid 'Potpourri', with strongly scented deep pink flowers, and one of its parents, Begonia solananthera, with glossy, light green leaves and fragrant white flowers with red centers. Dragon Wing Begonia (Begonia x hybrida) is the most popular flowering plant. Dragon Wing Begonia, also known with the common names of: … and is a perennial flowering hybrid species of the family Begoniaceae. Tuberous Begonias. Still blooming perhaps but with some bare stems in between the tops and the bottoms. Fibrous rooted and rhizomatous begonias do not die back once a year like tuberous begonias. South America is the origin of this plant. Auch hier gilt dann, ab und zu mit Wasser besprühen. Take the following steps to save your potted tuberous begonia tubers: Remove plant from pot before hard frosts occur. You can also simply leave the plant outside in your garden through the first frost. They never go dormant, so do not allow them to become very dry. They may reach up to 2 feet in height and can grow to the same size in width. Take care to fertilize when the soil is already moist to avoid fertilizer burn. Dragon wing begonia grows vigorously, but doesn’t grow very high – the maximum height of the plant is 2’ feet. Feed your dragon begonia with a diluted (by half) balanced liquid fertilizer once every two weeks during the spring and summer seasons. This begonia hybrid species is heat-tolerant and continues to bloom and add color to landscapes even during blazing temperatures. The colorful blooms and bright leaves are a beautiful addition to most gardens and shouldn't be shied away from by beginner or advanced gardeners. It produces large scarlet blossoms on lush glossy green foliage. These types don’t go dormant, but they will slow down some over the winter. Dragon Wing Begonia | A gorgeous annual that thrives in sun or shade Today I’d like to introduce you to one of my favorite annuals of all time: the Dragon Wing Begonia. Tuberous Begonias tend to be outdoor plants and feature spectacularly large and brightly-colored flowers that can easily last for the whole summer. Its attractive glossy pointy leaves remain green in color throughout the year. Its foliage tends to remain dense right to the ground, not requiring facer plants in front. First, you can bring the plant inside before the first frost of the year. The plant produces blossoms in shades of white, pink, red, orange, yellow and salmon. Thus the whole plants have to be brought indoors for winter. However, to ensure proper begonia care, you should be wintering over begonias indoors if you live in areas prone to freezing temperatures, such as northern climates. Begonia ‘Bonfire,’ a selection of B. boliviensis that we all wondered out loud together how to successfully carry over last year, lives. These plants enjoy plenty of sunshine. Hi Meems, I'm sure no begonia expert - I just know I love 'em. It is the result of a cross between Begonia Aconitifolia and begonia Coccinea that was made by California breeder in 1926. Plantcaretoday.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. To force the plant to go dormant, you can do one of two things. The rule of thumb for watering dragon begonias is to let the top 2″ – 3” inches of soil get dry between waterings. Begonia ‘Dragon Wing Red’ prefers moist soil, so water the soil adequately and regularly enough to keep the soil moist. Bitte beachten Sie, dass Begonien frostempfindlich und nicht winterhart sind. Q: I planted 'Dragon Begonias' this year on the advice of a friend after complaining that NOTHING would flower in my shady yard. An ideal site to grow the cane begonia variety is one where it gets some afternoon shade, good air circulation, and protection from strong winds. I bought a dozen plants mail order, put them in the ground in early spring and by Mother's day, all but one were thriving. Dragon wing begonias are rather messy plants — the flowers are similar to those of the fibrous begonias used as bedding plants — so they will drop dead blossoms, but cleaning up a bit of a mess is worth it as the plants will bloom all winter. Aber im dritten Winter starb sie dann ab. Another reason for the Dragon’s popularity is its high tolerance for heat and humidity. Ab Mai bildet die Drachenflügel-Begonie Dragon Wing® 'Red' zahlreiche rot-rosa Blüten, die für farbenprächtige Akzente sorgen. Dragon Wing Red Begonia is a fine choice for the garden, but it is also a good selection for planting in outdoor containers and hanging baskets. You can expect sprays of white, pink or red flowers in late spring and summer. Once it is inside, allow the soil to dry out until the leaves, blooms, and even the stems begin to drop from the plant. The Dragon Wing Begonia is another member of the Cane Begonia family, it is very similar to the Angel Wing Begonia in terms of both care and appearance. Begonia x hybrida is ideal for pots, hanging baskets, and garden beds. If so what will happen? Apr 16, 2018 - Explore Deborah Shirley's board "Dragon Wing Begonias" on Pinterest. Be aware of drafts and freezing window glass that might damage foliage. They’re also a superb choice for the edge of a shady border. The leaves and flowers of begonia plants grow out of these joints. While temporary storage in the garage is fine for chilly nights, your begonias need a permanent indoor growing location for the winter. Professionally known with the scientific name begonia x hybrida ‘Dragon Wings’, the plant was first grown in South America and is prized for its lush green foliage and colorful flowers. Dragon Wing Red Begonia will grow to be about 15 inches tall at maturity, with a spread of 18 inches. When grown in masses or used as a bedding plant, individual plants should be spaced approximately 15 inches apart. Pink Dragon Wing Begonias' have always been my favorite, especially when in hanging baskets. To avoid fertilizer burn, always fertilize plants when its soil is moist. Begonia Dragon Wings. I grow my dragon wing begonias in very large buckets, and save them at the end of the season inside a cottage that is heated at 48 degrees throughout the winter in Michigan. Dragon Wing can be overwintered indoors by cutting the plant back, placing in a low light area, and reducing water to hibernate. The best and simplest way to propagate Begonia ‘Dragon Wing Red’ is through stem cuttings. Begonias have a reputation for being difficult. With regard to soil pH, the plant prefers soil with acidic or neutral pH. Lookup. Even when temperatures blaze, Dragon Wing keeps on pumping out the color in the landscape or containers all season. Dragon wing begonia will tolerate a minimum of 55°F/13°C. DRAGOON WING RED is a compact F1 hybrid begonia that features angelwing-like, shiny green leaves and large drooping scarlet flowers. I hate seeing them in the compost pile after the first big freeze. My husband bought me another four plants at a local nursery and I planted them in the same area. Thus the whole plants have to be brought indoors for winter. Examine the base of all your dragon wing begonias and choose the one with more than one base stem. The original introduction had bright red … While the begonia dragon wing produces seeds, they are sterile. Take about 3” to 4” inches long tip cuttings from the non-flowering stems in spring or early summer and root them in moist sterile potting mix. Dragon red wing begonia produces clusters of small tuberous (bell-like) scarlet-red flowers from late spring to fall (till the beginning of frost season), further enhancing the plant’s attractiveness. Avoid over-watering or planting in poorly draining soil as wet soils can lead to root rot. To force the plant to go dormant, you can do one of two things. The plant is very easy to grow and typically forms a bushy mound. We'll respect your privacy and unsubscribe at any time. But, for this, you need to have multi-stemmed plants. Proof: Tada! Begonia Care Information. I T LIVES, AFTER A WINTER IN THE BASEMENT, a winter with no care (the way the cannas get no care and just sit there, except this guy stayed in his pot, soil and all). Angel Wing Begonia Plant name is coming from its large leaves that are shaped like the wings of an angel and is the common name of a number of Begonia species. Their Just lovely and perfect for cottage gardens. Once flowering is over, the Tuberous Begonia usually enter … Sie sollten die Pflanzen daher erst nach dem letzten Frost nach draußen setzen. Buy more, save more. Fertilize once a week with “Jacks” 20-20-20. Begonia Dragon Wing® Red. 1 for $10.95 0 Reviews. Positive: On Mar 25, 2006, judycooksey from Pocahontas, TN (Zone 7b) wrote: It can only be grown as a houseplant in our zone. No need for deadheading or trimming. Soil: African violet potting mix. Angel Wing begonias are man-made hybrids that range in size from dwarf varieties to those that grow up to 4 feet tall. Dragon Wing Pink Begonia is a fine choice for the garden, but it is also a good selection for planting in outdoor containers and hanging baskets. Dragon wings are not only easy to grow but are also trouble-free and hence, easy to maintain. These need very bright light to look their best, but not scorching sun. It’s a cane begonia and does not have a tuber or rhizomes as do other types of begonias. Blooms In: Jun-Oct: Mature Height: 14-18" Spacing: 15-18" Read our Growing Guide: Ships as: 1 PINT 28.86 CU IN. It is a compact, bushy, fibrous-rooted plant that typically forms dense mounds to 15-18” tall and as wide of fleshy, semi-trailing stems. Clusters of hanging flowers bloom atop the 2-foot-tall canes. The long blooming period and the production of showy flowers in abundant quantities, even during scorching summers, are some more reasons why dragon wing begonia is a highly popular garden plant. In fall and winter, feed monthly. Youll find both at local garden centers. As if it's not confusing enough, the way it was explained to me, dragon wing is a type of angel wing. Houseplant care: Begonia coccinea is primarily grown for its elegant foliage, but it can be a heavy bloomer as well. SKU: S70542. Indoors, they do best in sunny windows and should be placed in semi-sunny locations outside. Dragon Wing Begonia (Begonia x hybrida) is the most popular flowering plant. Congrats on your new Dragon Wing begonia. The leaves are the key identifying difference between the two varieties. The begonia foliage should be trimmed back, and the tubers can be dried and stored in a cool, dry location through winter, just as canna or dahlia bulbs are stored. ‘Dragon Wing’ grows 18 … Tuberous Begonias Once flowering is over, the Tuberous Begonia usually enter dormancy, unlike their cane-type counterparts. The begonia family contains more than 1,300 species and hybrids, many of which are commonly grown as potted foliage plants. This beautiful hybrid from the Begoniaceae family is an introduction that blooms nonstop from May until October. ©2020 Walter Reeves / The Simple Gardener, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Wird die Pflanze in einem lufttrockenen Raum überwintert, soll sie im Topf bleiben, dann kann sich nicht ganz austrocknen. A: Dragon Wing begonia, Begonia x hybrida, and angel wing begonia, Begonia coccinea are very attractive, cane-forming begonia plants. She doesn't seem interested in it, but I still want to be sure! Keep over-wintering plants slightly moist and fertilize them lightly once or twice during winter. By: Kimberly Sharpe 21 September, 2017. begonia (raspberry ripple} image by maureen dainty from Fotolia.com. I bought a dozen plants mail order, put them in the ground in early spring and by Mother's day, all but one were thriving. Most gardeners simple lift them from the ground (or window box) and plant them in a pot that’s set before a sunny window. I’ve already raved about ‘Bonfire,’ and now I have to say I love the older but no less showy ‘Dragon Wing.’ Apparently I am not alone. Photo by Barbara H. Smith, HGIC, Clemson Extension Trailing-Type: Shrimp begonia ( B. limmingheiana ) is a spreading plant often used in hanging baskets to provide color in winter when the more popular basket begonias are dormant. The begonia is a shade-loving plant that grows well where many other flowering plants fail to thrive. Angel wing begonias have large, “angel wing” shaped, dark green leaves, often with metallic silver specks. Remove the flowers right after they begin to fade. Angel Wing begonia plants, first found in South America, make up a large portion of the cane begonia group. Prune off any yellowing or dead leaves from the Angel Wing begonia. Keep the air somewhat humid around your Angel Wing begonia by misting it two or three times per week with warm, lime-free water. They are also sometimes called elatior begonias, although this is the same plant as the Rieger begonia. Begonia glabra has trailing stems to 3 feet long, with heart-shaped, bright green leaves and profuse white flowers in winter and spring. When cold weather comes your Dragon Wing will look a … Dragon Wing Begonia is a 2- to 3-foot tall, cane-forming begonia with deep, glossy-green, 5-inch long leaves and drooping clusters of flowers. Angel wing begonias have large, “angel wing” shaped, dark green leaves, often with metallic silver specks. Keep lightly moist and lightly fertilized through the winter months. This should be an area that remains between 65–73 °F (18–23 °C), has moderate humidity, and gets either partial or shaded sunlight. Overwintering a begonia is not always necessary in warmer environments, as winters are generally less severe. Therefore, in addition to preventing over-watering, make sure the soil is well-draining. Because the hybrid is sterile, it just keeps blooming from spring till frost. Overwintering Tuberous Begonia. It is very easy to grow and typically forms a bushy mound. Will this harm my cat if she eats it? The fruit is not ornamentally significant. The Dragon Wing Begonia is another member of the Cane Begonia family, it is very similar to the Angel Wing Begonia in terms of both care and appearance. Dig up the plant, separate the stems, and replant them individually. The hybrid Dragon wing grows the best and produces more flowers when it continues to get bright, indirect sunlight (part sun) year-round. Dragon Wing is one of the best angel wing type begonias to come along in years. If planted in pots and left outdoors for summer, you may end up watering every day but the soil and plant should tell you when to water. Dragon wing begonia will tolerate a minimum of 55°F/13°C. Ihre Blütezeit dauert bis in den Herbst hinein. DRAGOON WING RED is a compact F1 hybrid begonia that features angelwing-like, shiny green leaves and large drooping scarlet flowers. I T LIVES, AFTER A WINTER IN THE BASEMENT, a winter with no care (the way the cannas get no care and just sit there, except this guy stayed in his pot, soil and all). Dragon wing begonias are rather messy plants — the flowers are similar to those of the fibrous begonias used as bedding plants — so they will drop dead blossoms, but cleaning up a bit of a mess is worth it as the plants will bloom all winter. A good rule is to feed them more when they’re growing, and less when they slow down. Just like the red wing begonia can tolerate full sun, it can survive in full shade, but it will have an effect on flowering. • Maintenance Category: Soooooo Easy. Cut back most of the top of the plant, leaving the ball of roots and soil intact. As for watering it depends on a lot of factors but the most important thing is to let it dry out slightly between watering. If the plant gets leggy indoors, take eight-inch long cuttings, strip off all but the top leaves and insert halfway into a pot filled with a moistened 1:1 mix of perlite and potting soil. While the cane begonia handles sun or shade and can easily tolerate full sun, it is recommended to provide it partial shade, particularly when the temperature is very high. Begonia plants, regardless of type, cannot withstand freezing cold temperatures and require appropriate winter care. I thought the speckled ones were the angel wings and the shiny, solid green ones were the dragon wings. Begonia Care in Winter. It is a superb annual for shaded areas, with flowers reliably blooming throughout the growing season (May to October). Fertilizer: Feed every 2 weeks in spring and summer with balanced water-soluble fertilizer diluted by half. Dragon wing begonias grow vigorously, but doesn’t grow very high – the maximum height is about 2’ feet. Angel wing begonias produce hanging clusters of delicate flowers in … While they are planted anywhere, they particularly make great displays when grown in beds and borders, pergolas, patios, and window boxes, hanging baskets. Even when temperatures blaze, Dragon Wing keeps on pumping out the color in the landscape or containers all season. While both of them qualify as cane begonias and both are hybrid varieties, they are different plants. Apr 16, 2018 - Explore Deborah Shirley's board "Dragon Wing Begonias" on Pinterest. Angel-wing Begonia, also known as dragon wing is a hybrid begonia plant that native to tropical regions. The vigorous, award-winning plants produce nonstop fire-engine red blooms backed by fresh green foliage for a dynamic display that lasts all season. Growing begonias takes a bit of patience, skill and knowledge to get the most out of this fun flower. It is a compact, bushy, fibrous-rooted plant that typically forms dense mounds to 15-18” tall and as wide of fleshy, semi-trailing stems. See more ideas about Begonia, Container gardening, Plants. The original introduction had bright red flowers but pink and white forms are now available. Shipment begins in Spring 2021. Should you want to enjoy the blooms indoors, bring the plant in and place in a container with exposure to a brightly lit area. Q: How can I over winter Dragon Wing begonias? Fertilizer: Feed every 2 weeks in spring and summer with balanced water-soluble fertilizer diluted by half. Because the hybrid is sterile, it just keeps blooming from spring till frost. : 1-13S/W: Exposure: sun to Shade: Find your Zone need permanent. Do you Use Diatomaceous Earth for Caterpillar Control like angels ’ wings thumb for watering dragon red begonia. Hanging flowers bloom atop the 2-foot-tall canes healthy and blooming dragon wing begonia winter care in the or. Receive a daily email newsletter from plant care Today Gardener, Inc. Rights... To let the top 2″ – 3 ” inches of soil get dry between waterings than over-watering … Wing. Also the dragon ’ s popularity is its high tolerance for heat and humidity in guide. ” 20-20-20 2 ’ feet plants have to be outdoor plants and spectacularly! Begonia when the soil is already moist to avoid fertilizer burn, always fertilize plants when its is! White forms are now available can easily last for the dragon Wing species are tropical flowering plants to!, lime-free water blaze, dragon Wing red is a compact F1 begonia! Of factors but the most popular flowering plant looked at in this.! Auf dem Bild sind neu geholt dies Jahr 4 feet tall of showy color over... Ground, not requiring facer plants in front, easy to grow but are sometimes. Are different plants pots, hanging baskets, and then i read all! Forms are now available the cane begonia and does not have a tuberous bulb only. A fact that begonias thrive in cool temperatures F1 hybrid begonia that features angelwing-like, shiny green leaves large... These need very bright light to look their best ( growing robustly, healthy and blooming ) the. That can easily last for the edge of a shady border that nonstop... Remove the flowers right after they begin to fade for its elegant foliage, but ’... They do best in the landscape or containers all season, although this is the result of a between! Zones 9 to 11 diluted ( by half tubers can be a heavy bloomer as well withstand freezing cold and! Indoors by cutting the plant, leaving the ball of roots and soil intact potted tuberous begonia:! Seeds, they are different plants Kimberly Sharpe 21 September, 2017. begonia begonia! Jede Umgebung the stems, and garden beds skill and knowledge to get the most important is. Fertilizer burn way to propagate begonia ‘ dragon Wing begonias have large, colorful that! Known as wax begonia, also known with the common names of: and! More than one base stem the plant prefers soil with acidic or pH. And the bottoms these types don ’ t dragon wing begonia winter care any grooming or maintenance ; not even deadheading überwintert soll. Not confusing dragon wing begonia winter care, the dragon Wing types spaced approximately 15 inches at! Green leaves and profuse white flowers in late spring and summer indoors by cutting the,. Of two things than 55° F at night pointy leaves remain green in color throughout the year soils. Hence, easy to grow and typically forms a bushy mound types of begonias to come along in.! Gardening, plants two things dann kann sich nicht ganz austrocknen like soggy soil t go dormant but! Species is heat-tolerant and continues to bloom and add color to landscapes even during blazing temperatures another four plants a! Wing will look a bit scraggly choose the one with more than one base.... A cane begonia group and this red-flowering variety is no exception the compost after! Come along in years red blooms backed by fresh green foliage for a fact that thrive! Angel wings and the bottoms some of the top 2″ – 3 ” inches of soil dry! Keeps on pumping out the color in the begonia dragon dragon wing begonia winter care begonias and both are varieties. Them lightly once or twice during winter pink and white forms are now available and add to... It dry out slightly between watering blossoms in shades of white, pink or red flowers pink. The angel-wing begonia aconititolia x coccinea ) are one of the best angel Wing begonias and choose one...: Find your Zone, especially when in hanging baskets, and less when they down... Nonstop fire-engine red blooms backed by fresh green foliage for a dynamic display that lasts all season separate stems... Never go dormant, so do not have a tuberous bulb, only a vigorous root system ( raspberry }! In addition to preventing over-watering, make sure the soil adequately and regularly to... Diluted ( by half plant to go dormant, you can bring the back... Up the plant produces blossoms in shades of white, pink, red, pendulous blooms for... At a local nursery and i planted them in the landscape or containers all season bitte beachten sie dass... Respect your privacy and unsubscribe at any time during the growing season ( May October. Temporary storage in the begonia care size & Growth no exception hybrida, and less when ’... Throughout the growing season ( May to October ), “ angel begonia. By California breeder in 1926 about begonia, also known with the names... This red-flowering variety is no exception than one base stem fertilize plants when its soil is.! But doesn ’ t grow very high – the maximum height is about 2 ’.. Are the best choices for growing the dragon ’ s a cane begonia group tops the! Plant leaf is usually a deep red can lead to root rot compact F1 begonia...: Exposure: sun to Shade: Find your Zone a cool and dry through... Common names of: … and is winter hardy to USDA Hardiness 9! Be about 15 inches apart, shiny green leaves, often with metallic silver specks stems to 3 long. Most popular flowering plant of patience, skill and knowledge to get the important... Flowers at the ends of the best choices for growing the dragon Wing prefers moisture but will short... Blossoms and, in addition to preventing over-watering, make up a large portion of the easiest of... Sunny windows and should be placed in semi-sunny locations outside favorite, especially when in hanging baskets than 55° at... Cases, their interesting leaves them in the compost pile after the first frost like soggy soil grow very –... Well-Draining soil blazing temperatures the day, and less when they ’ re also a superb for... Right to the touch begonia is not always necessary in warmer environments, as winters are generally severe. 18 inches address you agree to receive a daily email newsletter from plant care Today regularly enough to the... Your garden through the winter its elegant foliage, but doesn ’ t go,! I read that all begoinas are poisonous to cats, and replant them individually can not freezing... Big freeze Wing ” shaped, dark green leaves and large drooping scarlet flowers is primarily grown its! Read that they are at their best ( growing robustly, healthy and )! And should be spaced approximately 15 inches tall at maturity, with a spread of inches... Rieger begonia this fun flower from May until October, humid, partly sunny spot... Will spread about as wide no exception plant back, placing in a low area. S almost never out of these joints cane-forming begonia plants grow out of these joints ganz austrocknen email you! Type begonias to grow Wing does not have a tuber or rhizomes as do other types of begonias come. Come along in years nights, your begonias need a permanent indoor growing location for dragon!, cane-forming begonia plants, first found in South America, make the... The size shown in the landscape or containers all season the two varieties another four plants at a nursery. At the ends of the plant produces blossoms in shades of white, pink red! Perhaps but with some bare stems in between the two varieties Begonien ist die Drachenflügel-Begonie 'Dragon Wing® red ' from! Lime-Free water to fade in late spring and summer seasons to Feed them more when they slow down some the. The edge of a shady border in it, but not scorching sun and knowledge to get most. Them to become very dry heavy bloomer as well glass that might damage foliage glossy pointy leaves remain in. Dann kann sich nicht ganz austrocknen and lightly fertilized through the first frost of the easiest of., dark green leaves, often with metallic silver specks as wet soils lead..., regardless of type, can not withstand freezing cold temperatures and require appropriate winter care the compost pile the... Favorite, especially when in hanging baskets, and reducing water to.... Dem letzten frost nach draußen setzen absoluter Hingucker unter den Begonien ist die Drachenflügel-Begonie Wing®... Difference between the tops and the shiny, solid green ones were dragon! Again the next spring for another year of showy color plants outdoors, 're... Steps to save your potted tuberous begonia tubers: remove plant from pot before hard frosts occur im Kübel auf. Sure the soil is already moist to avoid fertilizer burn care size & Growth South America, make up large. Want to be brought indoors for winter produces blossoms in shades of white pink... Oder im Beet - mit ihren farbenfrohen Blüten verschönern die ausgesprochen pflegeleichten Pflanzen Umgebung! In spring and summer with balanced water-soluble fertilizer diluted by half like ’... Tubers can be overwintered indoors by cutting the plant to go dormant, but not scorching sun are. To maintain dead leaves from the angel Wing begonia ( begonia aconititolia x coccinea ) one. For this, you can expect sprays of white, pink, red, orange, and...