So glad you liked it. 9 ounces finely ground pork. Tweet on Twitter. If you are following a medically restrictive diet, please consult your doctor or registered dietitian before preparing this recipe for personal consumption. I then strain the meat and liquid. French meat and vegetable pie recipe. A French-Canadian staple, this double-crusted savory pie has many family-style variations; our recipe is made with a ground pork, warm spices, and mashed potatoes, plus a rich pastry crust that melts in your mouth. Thank you! The recipe feeds 4-6 but honestly, I would go ahead and make a double batch next time, because with all of our snacking after dinner-there was no leftovers for lunch! This French Canadian meat pie is hearty, satisfying, and easy to make so it's a great choice for a holiday main course. Cool. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until meat is tender and most of the liquid has evaporated, about 45 minutes. Start with a pyrex baking dish that is 9.5 x 1.6 deep. I made this exactly to the recipe. to which I had a good chuckle. In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the ground pork and ground beef along with the onion and garlic until the meat is no longer pink; drain excess fat. #mergeRow-gdpr fieldset label {font-weight: normal;} A real treat. If you are the kind of cook who aggressively salts the water when cooking potatoes, you may want to be careful about how much salt you add to the water in this recipe--you'll be adding that potato cooking water to the meat mixture which already has a good amount of salt in it thanks to the spice mix. Note: Wild game can also be used to enhance the taste of this flavorful pie. If you prefer having extra stuffing, prepare recipe as written. I made this with my not so great baking skills. The crust was magnificent and I will NEVER make another kind of pie crust. Did you mean pie french canadian? Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer; cover and cook for 15 minutes, stirring frequently. https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/favorite-french-canadian-meat-pie One change I made was to add a rich, scratch-made beef gravy to be added at the table. Tourtière, also known as pork pie or meat pie, is a traditional French-Canadian pie served by generations of French-Canadian families throughout Canada and New England on Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve. Please read my Disclosure Policy . Information is not currently available for this nutrient. Pulse on and off until butter is about the size of peas, about 30 seconds. * (Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.). I won't say that I won't ever use premade again because I can foresee that happening if I need it in a hurry but if you follow Chef John's directions you will feel like a pastry chef when it's complete! Tastes just like the one my mom made. However, if you have a homemade pie crust recipe that you love, definitely use it. If you grew up near a French-Canadian community and enjoyed meat pie as part of your Christmas Eve and New Years Eve food celebration, you may also have had salmon pie. Grammy Brouillette's French Canadian Meat Pies - Christmas 2016 According to my sons (and my twin brother) these were the… ... is browned. I used pillsbury prerolled crust to save time. You can also easily tailor this to your own tastes, since other than the ground meat and mashed potato, pretty much anything goes. Tourtière, also known as pork pie or meat pie, is a traditional French-Canadian pie served by generations of French-Canadian families throughout Canada and New England on Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve. Wrap in plastic wrap. Tourtière is a popular meat-filled pie enjoyed at Christmas. Browse hundreds of delicious, flavorful recipes that are both quick and easy to make. I tried the recipe out on my family at Christmas when we all gathered together. Meat pie is the word for the type of pie in this recipe, however French-Canadians tend to not like clove as much as they used to. Bake 15 minutes at 400 degrees F then remove the foil around the edge and reduce the heat to 375 degrees F. Bake 30-35 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Trim crust and crimp to seal then flute the edges. Prepare your pie crust. Fork both pie shells together, cut slits on top, brush with egg wash. 2 lbs ground pork (extra fatty if you can get it) or unseasoned sausage meat. Warm in a covered casserole. Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. 1 2 Next. This recipe was passed down from my father’s mémère (grandmother) to my grandmother who passed it onto my mother after my mother and father were married. 1 small onion. Roll top crust out into a circle about 11 inches in diameter. It is made from a combination of ground meat, onions, savory tourtiere spices, and baked in a traditional piecrust and served as the main dish for a meal. fanpage: https://www.facebook.com/womanneeds follow my tweets : https://twitter.com/whatwomaneeds website : http://www.whatwomanneeds.com How To Make Meat … After my mom passed away, my aunt Jane began making the meat pies for my father and our family. Then make the butter crust (see recipe … Transfer mixture to a work surface. I put the liquid in the fridge so the fat comes to the top, I then scrape the fat off and thicken the liquid (make a gravy). Ladle about 3/4 cup of the potato cooking liquid into the skillet. I am Canadian and love meat pie. You can get the complete list of ingredients and full instructions for making this meat and potato pie on the printable recipe card at the end of this post. I’ll be using it again at Christmas. Salt to taste (Usually around 1.25- 1.5 tsp) 1/2 tsp pepper. Crecipe.com deliver fine selection of quality French meat and vegetable pie recipes equipped with ratings, reviews and mixing tips. If you are the kind of cook who aggressively salts the water when cooking potatoes, you may want to be careful about how much salt you add to the water in this recipe--you'll be adding that potato cooking water to the meat mixture which already has a good amount of salt in it thanks to the spice mix. Cut slits in top pastry. Meat filling: Salt. I made this; the only change I made was to use all lean ground beef (didn't have any ground pork on hand and couldn't wait to make it!). Cut small slits in the top crust to allow steam to escape. It turned out perfect (and I even had my Canadian b'friend there who gave it the stamp of approval) and everyone loved it. https://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/64/French_Potato_Pie20609.shtml Followed the recipe - far too salty. La Cuisine d'Annie gathers easy recipes and family dinner ideas. With egg wash (or milk) brush the top pastry (promotes browning). The recipe was outstanding. #mergeRow-gdpr {margin-top: 20px;} I make my own crust with Tenderflake lard. Pulse on and off until mixture is crumbly and holds together when you pinch a piece off, about 10 seconds. © Copyright 2020, 20 Things to Cook This Month That Have Nothing to Do With Thanksgiving, 15 Vegan Muffin Recipes for Easy Breakfasts, 15 Comfort Food Dinners That Start With Creamy Alfredo Sauce, 2-Ingredient Snacks That Are Too Easy Not to Make, Use Your Stale Bread in These Savory Bread Puddings, 13 Spiked Apple Cider Cocktails to Celebrate the Season, 15 Comfort Food Casseroles Inspired by World Cuisines, 12 Recipes to Turn Extra Chicken into Healthy Main Dish Salads, 15 Ground Beef Soup Recipes for Easy Weeknight Dinners, Ground Turkey Slow Cooker Recipes for Easy Weeknight Meals, 11 Top Chicken Casseroles That Lean to the Healthy Side, 12 Classic Italian Recipes Made Easy in the Instant Pot, Nutrition We find that they keep this rather dense pie from being dry and helps hold the filling together. OR If you prefer having extra stuffing, prepare recipe as written. Along with each recipe you'll find expert tips to help you create them perfectly each and every time. 2 tbsp chopped savory. Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy, and is sourced from the USDA Food Database. Simmer until cooked through, 10 to 15 minutes. Brush entire surface of the pie with egg wash. Place in preheated oven. Remove from the heat; cool to room temperature. Other than that I followed the recipe. Cook pork, hamburg, onion, and ... potatoes. DelPaso Films, Casa productora en Puerto vallarta que brinda servicio profesional de Video Producción, video aéreo con drones en Puerto Vallarta y renta de equipo. Very filling and tasty. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature. Stir well, and let mixture rest for 20 minutes. This FRENCH CANADIAN TOURTIÈRE RECIPE is a Canadian meat pie that originated from Quebec from as early as 1600. Tourtière, also known as old fashioned pork pie or meat pie, is a traditional French-Canadian meat pie enjoyed throughout Canada, especially in Quebec. https://newengland.com/.../meat-pies/memere-rousseaus-tourtiere-meat-pie Crimp the edges of the crust. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. While the best tourtière will always be the one grand-mere makes, these classic and not-so-classic It has been updated with additional information, photos, and video. 1. 9 ounces 1/2-inch diced potato. More Vegan Meat Pie Recipes: Chickpea Pot Pie; Vegan Lentil Pot Pie with Potatoes I made the filling and the dough the night before to break up the work a little bit. As always, I’m using store bought crust for this Canadian meat pie. french meat pie Simmer beef and pork in ... 1/2 cup of mashed potatoes, salt, pepper and spices. ©Kitchen Dreaming by KitchenDreaming.com. Today's video features one of my favorite Christmas Recipes for French Canadian Meat Pie - also known as Tourtiere. Recipe makes TWO French Canadian Meat Pies OR For French Canadian Meat Stuffing - Make half the recipe. 1 cup potato cooking water, plus more as needed. Delicious. I tried the recipe out on my family at Christmas when we all gathered together. Serve with a side of brown gravy (optional). Fill with meat mixture. Served with macaroni and cheese. Tourtière is a traditional French-Canadian dish served by generations of French-Canadian families. Like most family recipes, the recipe for French meat pie, Tourtiere, varies from family to family. Trim excess dough from the crust. First, this recipe is all about the meat, so it’s important to source good-quality meat from a farmer or butcher you trust. Chef John is my hero! Stay safe from the storm. Most store bought brands are already dairy free, and you know how I feel about taking shortcuts when I can. Tourtiere is often served at the holidays and specifically Canadian Thanksgiving where it is served in smaller slices alongside the Turkey and trimmings. I didn’t have a recipe and came across this one online and decided it was the closest to how I remember it being cooked. Delectable Christmas treasure is found in the ground cloves and all-spices. Meat pie is an … You saved Tourtiere (French Canadian Meat Pie) to your. Today's video features one of my favorite Christmas Recipes for French Canadian Meat Pie - also known as Tourtiere. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Home > Recipes > meat pie french canadian. I grew up on French meat stuffing and this was my first thanksgiving making it alone. Will definitely make this again. So good. this link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. Delectable Christmas … Share on Facebook. Put bottom pie crust in 2 pie plates. I'm Ronda, welcome to Kitchen Dreaming. Prepare pie crust. #mc-embedded-subscribe-form .mc_fieldset{border:none;min-height: 0px;padding-bottom:0px;}, Filed Under: Main Dishes, Recipe Tagged With: baked, beef, dinner, Easy Recipes for Beginners, Family-Friendly Recipes, French, holiday, kid-friendly, pork, Thanksgiving Recipes. Meat Pie or Tourtière is a traditional part of the Christmas and/or Christmas Eve réveillon and New Year’s eve meal in Québec. Cover edges loosely with foil. Reminds me of my Nan’s. Divide chilled dough into 2 pieces, one just slightly larger than the other. For decades, my mother followed in the tradition of my grandmother making the meat pie for my father and his siblings. In a large skillet over medium heat, add the beef, pork, and the onions. Made with hot water crust pastry, these vegetarian meat & potato pies are pure comfort food. Amount is based on available nutrient data. Cretons: A French-Canadian Pork Pâté (Potted Meat), Copyright © 2012-2020 Kitchen Dreaming, LLC. Cook the onion and celery for about 5 … Congrats! One change I made was to add a rich, scratch-made beef gravy to be added at. We loved it. I'll never try another pie crust this was so good. The pie crust was easy and Soooo good. Learn how to cook great French meat and vegetable pie . Note: Wild game can also be used to enhance the taste of this flavorful pie. And is traditional served during the Christmas holidays. Tourtière is a traditional French-Canadian dish served by generations of French-Canadian families. Some pies are simply meat and onions; others include potatoes and/or celery as well. The whole family raved and went back for seconds. Stir vinegar into cold water; drizzle water/vinegar into the flour mixture. Meat Pie or Tourtière is a traditional part of the Christmas and/or Christmas Eve réveillon and New Year’s eve meal in Québec. Let cool to almost room temperature before serving. Got this in my email yesterday and happened to have all the ingredients and the day off due to the pending hurricane. Update: Oh my heavens it is even better the second day. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Very few meat pies contain clove, cinnamon or all spice. Place potato quarters in a saucepan; cover with cold water. And is traditional served during the Christmas holidays. It is a generous recipe and will easily feed 4 hungry people. I used a mix of beef, pork and veal and to save some time I used pre-made crust. Today a pie crust tomorrow perhaps a cake!!!!!! Fill with meat mixture. I cooked ground beef and ground turkey together. Pulse on and off until … Best French Meat Pie. Whisk egg and water together to make egg wash. Brush edges of the bottom crust with egg wash. Place top crust on the pie and press lightly around the edges to seal. pasty pie "meat and potato pie" Cut round steak, potatoes and onions in small chunks, ... bowl. Try something different! We actually ended up making this twice over the Christmas holidays because the family enjoyed it so much. Classic French Canadian Tourtiere. Do not substitute from the kosher salt, used sea salt once and it didn't come out as it should have. Anyway, it came out perfect, just as I remember, and the whole family loves it! While my family loves the addition of the potatoes to the pie, not all families added potatoes. pie plate with bottom pastry; trim even with edge. May omit without substitution. For more homemade pie recipes be sure and check out Easy Cherry Pie, Best Apple Pie, Fried Apple Hand Pies, Pecan Pie, and Easy Pumpkin Pie.. How to make Tourtière French Meat Pie: Step 1: In a large pot or Dutch oven, over medium heat. ... 9 Inch round pie dish, put the bottom crust ... without any side effects. I always used the Pillsbury ready crusts, time saver and just as good. Roll the larger piece out into a 12-inch circle on a lightly floured work surface. French Meat Pie, also called Tourtiere, is a classic French-Canadian dish that combines potatoes, onions, and spices, all enveloped in a buttery pie crust. Bake until well browned, about 1 hour. To make a large pie … Apr 28, 2020 - Explore Stan's Awesome Recipe Collecti's board "French Canadian Recipes", followed by 363 people on Pinterest. Visually impressive, relatively affordable, and best served at room temperature, so a tourtiere doesn't require any kind of precise timing. M eat and potato pie, meat and ’tatie pie (as Simon Hopkinson calls it, rather than “tattie”), or simply meat pie, is a straightforward name for a straightforward dish.