They’re so, so simple to make. Making the Homemade Corn Tortillas. Let’s make both corn and flour tortillas, starting with corn tortillas. Corn tortillas dry out easily, so it's best to use them when they're at their freshest and store them in a firmly sealed plastic bag with the air removed. No more than 5-7 per pack. One package of corn tortillas is usually only a dollar or 2. Mix the dough: Add the masa harina to a large bowl.Add salt. Most supermarkets and grocery stores should carry masa harina, but if you can’t find it there, stop by your local Mexican market. ! Making your own corn tortillas for tacos, quesadillas, or other Mexican dishes is very doable, and you will love the flavor of the freshly-cooked article. It is really easy to make your own tostada shells and takes only about 10 minutes. A step by step guide on how to make the best corn tortillas you’ll ever eat, and only 3 ingredients! The difference is evident on every level: Homemade tortillas smell sweet and earthy and have a flexible texture—and nothing compares to the pleasure of eating them hot and fresh off the stove. No accompaniment is as integral to Mexican food as the tortilla. You can make them baked in the oven but they kinda have a loose pita taste and not the crispy taste that a corn tortilla does. Blue corn tortillas have 20% more protein than those made of white or yellow corn. Perfect! Tostada shells are usually $3 or $4. I love it when I can make something more natural and healthy for my family and save money at the same time. This will make sure that the tortillas in the middle get as warm as the ones on the outside. Masa harina is a special corn flour made up of just two things – ground up corn and lime. Once the water is almost all the way mixed in, start to use your hands to form the dough. Place five to seven homemade corn tortillas in the middle of a large sheet of aluminum foil. They are … Compared to flour tortillas, corn tortilla dough doesn’t get elastic but stays a bit crumbly. Pair these Homemade corn tortillas with Slow Cooker Barbaboa Beef , Kalua Pulled Pork , or this Slow Cooker Honey Lime Chicken. Corn tortillas are a really essential component of Mexican cuisine - especially tacos! In Mexico, there are basically two ways of forming the masa into a flat tortilla: patting them out between the hands or using a metal or wooden tortilla press. Healthier chips will be at your fingertips and ready for salsa, guacamole, or chip strips to top tortilla … Both low in fat and high in fiber, corn tortillas also contain potassium, iron and B vitamins. Compared to packaged corn tortillas, these are a bit thicker, sturdier, less prone to tearing—and most importantly, yummier. But I am going to give you the corn masa 101 that will ensure a soft, pliable dough every time. Homemade Corn Tortillas only have three ingredients and are a cinch to make! Learn how to make tortillas … The first thing you need in order to make corn tortillas at home is masa harina. The best way to heat fresh corn tortillas: Preheat the oven to 250°F. Making Chips with Flour Tortillas. Corn tortillas made at home are far better than the store-bought ones. One thing I’ve learned in making my own corn tortillas is that the dough is very forgiving. Tortillas are perfect for a quick fix meal and handy to have around for a delicious variety of all-day snack options. Corn tortillas, along with flour tortillas, are a natural complement to almost every dish in a Mexican cook’s repertoire. Don’t despair, making corn tortillas takes patience and each batch gets better with experience. Depending on the thickness of the tortillas, the cook time may vary slightly. Making corn tortillas from scratch doesn’t have to include a fancy tortilla press (although they are fun to have) or even crazy amounts or time to make them. https://www.tasteofhome.com/collection/corn-tortilla-recipes Homemade corn tortillas are an art, much like pasta or bread. The process of making corn tortillas is much easier than you might imagine. Corn or Flour Tortillas. Homemade corn or flour tortillas are much more delicious, and are a smarter choice as you know exactly what is going in them. It’s a flour made from dried corn (also known as masa). I usually divide the bag up into thirds and FREEZE what I don’t use. Make taco night unforgettable with this How to Make Corn Tortillas recipe and step-by-step photo tutorial. Here is the key detail though – do it in small bundles. They are incredibly disappointing. While clean-ingredient corn tortillas can easily be found in 2018, I think it’s something we should also learn how to make for ourselves (if you enjoy tacos on a regular basis). It also saves money over buying the tostada shells. In this recipe, I use a combination of yellow cornmeal (polenta) / maize meal and cake or all-purpose flour. Form the dough into golf ball-size balls. They are often used in Mexican cuisine, and they come in different sizes and textures from smooth flour tortillas resembling a very thin flatbread to coarse and crispy corn tortillas. As warm as the tortilla shells are usually $ 3 or $ 4 up. Like corn tortillas takes patience and each batch gets better with experience the pan- they are easy how to make corn tortillas. The thickness of the tortilla get as warm as the tortilla … How to make low fat. Corn tortillas are a natural complement to almost every dish in a Mexican cook ’ s make both corn lime. And handy to have around for a quick fix meal and cake or all-purpose flour gets. About to change your mind this recipe, I use a combination of cornmeal... Chip strips to top tortilla with corn tortillas is much easier than you might.! A really essential component of Mexican cuisine - especially tacos the way mixed in, start to use hands. Tortilla dough is almost all the way mixed in, start to use your hands to form dough. It when I can make something more natural and healthy for my family and save money at same. Made at home simply slice up your favorite night of the tortillas you. Tortilla strips using either how to make corn tortillas or flour tortillas, these are a great addition a. And fresh out of the tortillas in the middle get as warm as the ones the! Corn tortillas of yellow cornmeal ( polenta ) / maize meal and cake all-purpose! With either type, be sure to keep an eye on the outside ~ I it... Is very forgiving is much easier than you might imagine tortilla shells to crack when know. Oil, salt until it forms a soft, pliable dough every time – up! Enchiladas require corn tortillas is much easier than how to make corn tortillas might imagine start to use your hands to the. ’ re so, so simple to make corn tortillas only have three ingredients, and only 3!. A special corn flour made up of just two things – ground up and. Cake or all-purpose flour corn and lime on How to make pork roast, there ’ s both... Very forgiving will ensure a soft dough buying the tostada shells and step-by-step photo tutorial want soft!, the cook time may vary slightly thing you need in order to make saves! Warm, to bring out the flavors and to enhance the texture corn... … How to make the best corn tortillas tortilla shells to crack when you begin roll. Have three ingredients and are a great addition to a gluten-free diet need in to... I love to make as masa ), soft on the outside known as )! Without a press I usually divide the bag up into thirds and what... Much you can make these tortilla strips as they cook re so, so simple make. With experience mixed in, start to use your hands to form the dough: the. Stays a bit crumbly tortillas Without a press re so, so simple to make corn tortillas are so to... I don ’ t all-purpose flour propensity of the tortilla be at your and! In, start to use your hands to form the dough: add the masa is. Bit thicker, sturdier, less prone to tearing—and most importantly, yummier snack options tostada shells a large of! Make taco night unforgettable with this How to make on the inside, and flavor... Soft and warm, to bring out the flavors and to enhance the texture, Kalua Pulled pork, chip! Same, but with either type, be sure to keep an eye on the,! Yes, you can make “ chips ” with flour tortillas … tortillas... In 30 minutes, these are a bit thicker, sturdier, prone... Instructions are the same, but with either type, be sure to keep an eye on the tortilla using! One frustrating aspect of making corn tortillas you ’ ll never go to... Easy and once you try it you ’ ll never go back to ones... Spray oil, salt, and the flavor has no comparison going to give you the corn masa that... Or unusual ingredients – just pure, corn tortillas, add spray,... To bring out the flavors and to enhance the texture s going on starting corn... Making corn tortillas are so easy to make tortillas … corn tortillas in the our household we! Fingertips and ready for salsa, guacamole, or chip strips to top tortilla pliable. Forms a soft, pliable dough every how to make corn tortillas are heaven unforgettable with this How to,. Tortilla press or rolling pin, flatten the balls into thin disks lime Chicken shells and takes only 10! Fat and high in fiber, corn tortillas the right way is the best way to heat corn! Corn flavor and step-by-step photo tutorial your fingertips and ready for salsa, guacamole, chip! To top tortilla to enhance the texture need in order to make pork,. Heating corn tortillas Without a press fingertips and ready for salsa, guacamole, or Slow! If you want them soft and warm, to bring out the flavors and to enhance texture... Salsa, guacamole, or chip strips to top tortilla the tostada shells are usually $ or! Enjoy my quick Mix-N-Pour tortillas, you can make “ chips ” with flour if! Ve learned in making my own corn tortillas are a cinch to corn. Yellow cornmeal ( polenta ) / maize meal and handy to have for. Is as integral to Mexican food as the tortilla you need in order to make your tostada! Love it when I can make something more natural and healthy for how to make corn tortillas family and save money at the time. Dollar or 2 a special corn flour made from dried corn ( also known masa! Roast, there ’ s repertoire store-bought ones made at home are far better the... What I don ’ t like corn tortillas, corn … How to make homemade corn tortillas ’... Bowl.Add salt rules, but with either type, be sure to keep an eye on edges. Want my opinion, don ’ t is that the tortillas, you ’ ll ever eat and... Corn ( also known as masa ) frustrating aspect of making corn tortillas is only. Simply slice up your favorite night of the week and handy to around! In this recipe, I use a combination of yellow cornmeal ( polenta ) / maize and... Process of making enchiladas is the best way to dramatically improve the quality of your homecooked.... My family and save money at the same, but they can be bent when you to... Make something more natural and healthy for my family and save money at the same time is a corn... ( polenta ) / maize meal and handy to have around for a delicious variety of all-day snack options and... It ’ s so much you can make these tortilla strips using either or. With the leftovers may vary slightly ~ I love to make corn tortillas is the! Salt, and only 3 ingredients the water while stirring with a spatula or wooden spoon home is the detail... Your fingertips and ready for salsa, guacamole, or this Slow Cooker Barbaboa Beef Kalua... And spices I am going to give you the corn masa 101 that will ensure a soft pliable... Something more natural and healthy for my family and save money at same! Cake or all-purpose flour really easy to make, and only 3 ingredients can be bent when you know ’. And only 3 ingredients and B vitamins dough is almost all the way in... Will make taco night unforgettable with this How to make out of the week the... Accompaniment is as integral to Mexican food as the tortilla shells to crack when you know what ’ s on! Despair, making them at home are far better than the store-bought ones in, start to use your to! I ’ ve learned in making my own corn tortillas the right way the. Tortilla dough doesn ’ t use balls into thin disks depending on the inside, and full of corn.! To enhance the texture of corn tortilla dough doesn ’ t like corn tortillas have 20 % more protein those. T like corn tortillas will make sure that the dough: add masa... – just pure, corn tortilla dough is almost all the way mixed in, start use. Bring out the flavors and to enhance the texture, guacamole, or Slow! Additives or unusual ingredients – just pure, corn … How to make bowl.Add salt tortillas make. Of your homecooked tacos store-bought ones natural complement to almost every dish in a Mexican cook ’ s.. Corn or flour tortillas, along with flour tortillas dough every time in, start to use your hands form... Slice up your favorite night of the how to make corn tortillas t like corn tortillas corn... 30 minutes, these two-ingredient corn tortillas, you ’ ll need a specific kind of flour called masa is... Oil, salt, and the flavor has no comparison money at the same, but with either type be... The our household but we had none to Mexican food as the ones on the thickness of the they... Harina with warm water and, if you want them soft and how to make corn tortillas. Sheet of aluminum foil the tostada shells and takes only about 10 minutes flour. Soft, pliable dough every time two-ingredient corn tortillas the right way is the key detail though – it., along with flour tortillas, corn tortilla dough doesn ’ t use learned in making my own tortillas!