Tap Room is at 444 N Main Street, Fort Bragg. Great read. Apparently wrong on both fronts there. 30 things to do near Mendocino: Russian Gulch State Park. But Mendocino left such an impression that we’ve been dying to return for years! We also went to the famous Glass Beach, Inglenook Fen, Chandelier Tree, Mendocino Headlands, & Pygmy Forest. Like we’re talking EDIBLE purchases: a few bottles of wine, a jar of chutney, 3 pounds of fudge … that kinda thing. There’s even an ocean view deck, where you can watch the whale migration at the right time of year. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Mendocino National Forest is providing free-use permits for personal use fuelwood until December 31, 2020. Things to do in Fort Bragg & Mendocino Explore Mendocino Coast Botanical Gardens. Thank you Katherine – we went in California 2 years ago but we didn’t have enough time to explore it fully. Our long weekend itinerary for taking a road trip in northern California. I’ve heard great things about Fort Bragg and this article confirms it. If stairs are your thing (then we are very different people), you won’t want to miss the ecological staircase at Jughandle State Natural Reserve. Very ~vintage chic. 25 Things Nobody Tells You About Backpacking Bali, Indonesia, 12 Long Haul Flight Essentials & Travel Tips for Economy Fliers, 9 Things to Do in Jackson Hole, Wyoming in the Winter, 12 Must-Visit Paso Robles Breweries (& Distilleries), 9 Fantastic Things to do in Fort Collins, Colorado: A Local’s Guide, The Ultimate Guide to Whale Watching in California: 42 Places & When to Go, 14 Things to Do in Montreal in the Winter: The Ultimate Montreal Winter Guide. It’s a beautiful spot for photography, and gives you a chance to relax on the white sand beach and maybe build a few sandcastles, or eat a picnic lunch if you’ve thought ahead. We arrived during Happy Hour and gratefully sat down by a crackling fire to enjoy local wine and beer, home-made fondue with apples, bread and mushrooms, and local mustard with pretzels. And don’t forget to try the fish and chips. Town Of Mendocino - Mendocino is located 50 minutes north of Point Arena. by Katherine | Jun 19, 2020 | The Americas, Travel | 5 comments. The beautiful, rustic ranch looks like it was pulled from another era and deposited into 2020. For more information on all of the things to do in Mendocino during a road trip, head to the Visit Mendocino website. You’ll be driving up through wine country, then cutting over towards the coast on Highway 128 – a windy, scenic road through rolling forested hills – and after about an hour, you’ll reach the 1 for just a few miles of coastal scenery. I can honestly say I haven’t spent as much time as I would like in N. California. I especially love the glass sand beach. And while Glass Beach was pretty rad – and we even met a pig named Ollie frolicking on the beach, which isn’t like … a regular thing, but nonetheless memorable – we fell in love with so many spots along the way leading up to Fort Bragg, like Elk, Little River, Point Arena, and Mendocino itself. s.src = u + '?v=' + (+new Date()); Picture: photo-nic.co.uk. This tour is also an hour and a half long.eval(ez_write_tag([[336,280],'brightlightsofamerica_com-large-mobile-banner-1','ezslot_11',115,'0','0'])); If nature is your thing, you might want to consider the Catch a Canoe Lover Big River Estuary Tour because you’ll have a naturalist as your guide. It’s wild when people get our brand of weird. You won’t smell these trains before you see them.eval(ez_write_tag([[300,250],'brightlightsofamerica_com-mobile-leaderboard-2','ezslot_18',121,'0','0'])); You can take the Pudding Creek Express from the depot in Fort Bragg, along (you guessed it) Pudding Creek, and out into an ancient redwood forest. Check out this guide to Mendocino’s best-hidden hikes, or explore the parks below for some of the best hiking in Mendocino. You don’t have to venture far to find a beautiful spot to escape from the world. You might also come across some harbor seals, sea stars, shorebirds, and algaes while you glide along the water, hugging the coastal cliffs. There are plenty of marked pathways throughout the garden, and it’s important to note that much of it is protected coastline, so you should always stay on the paths to protect the delicate wildflowers and heather that grow here. Oh, and don’t forget to subscribe so you don’t miss new episodes. That Inn looks like it’s straight from the 70s, so cool! Russian Gulch State Park:  This park is relatively small, but the highlight is the 36-foot tall waterfall which runs nearly all year long! s.type = 'text/javascript'; Part sea-dragon, part fantastical beast, Sub Rosa is a sight to behold.eval(ez_write_tag([[300,250],'brightlightsofamerica_com-leader-3','ezslot_14',120,'0','0'])); You should always visit the local tourism office when you’re visiting a new town, and in the alley near the Visit Mendocino County office, you’ll find Bojh Parker’s mural, Matsya and the Great Deluge. })(document, 'script', '//aff.bstatic.com/static/affiliate_base/js/flexiproduct.js'); This is just one small part of our room at North Cliff Hotel. 1. Jeremy and I are the kind of people who will go to a restaurant JUST to order dessert. Oh, you’re SO sweet! The Mendocino National Forest also offers the Pine Mountain Lookout as a summer rental, providing an opportunity for a very rustic getaway. Plus, we've included our San Francisco walking tour, and we'll send you some helpful tips to plan your trip. Mendocino is home to both coastal bluffs and towering redwoods – the kind of hiking scenery that you can truly only experience in Northern California! Things to do in Mendocino. Here are two of our favorite places to eat in Mendocino. North Coast Brewing Co. If I had a patronus, it would a spreadsheet. The pass is valid at over 2,000 National Parks and 10% of the sale proceeds are donated to the National Park Foundation, helping to keep our parks beautiful! Do your research on the Highway 128 Wine Road before you go, because some of the tasting rooms are open by appointment only. But you’ll want to pack some warm clothing! So you might want to consider a boat tour of the area. This looks amazing! It felt like it was huge, since it’s bigger than our apartment. Sacramento is a hustling, bustling city and as such El Dorado National Forest provides a welcome contrast. Bring your bathing suits (or don’t, oh my). I always thought it was further south and that all there was to do there was eat and drink wine! But I’m always too excited to explore. However since the Pygmy Forest might be a little difficult to find, we’ve included the GPS coordinates at the bottom of this page. If you’re looking for Instagrammable Mendocino, do not pass up the opportunity to visit the Mendocino Coast Botanical Gardens. Plenty of them have picnic areas and places for the kids to play while you sample a wine or two. Our room was named “Curious” and themed around curiosity (duh) and exploration, and it was so freakin’ weird, you guys, in the best possible way! Mr M and I stayed in Fort Bragg during our honeymoon road trip that took us out to Nevada, up into Oregon, and down the Northern California coastline. When most people think of Mendocino, they picture wine tasting, towering redwoods, and picturesque views, but there is so much more!The first thing that everyone notices is the natural beauty from scenic beaches to majestic forests.Families enjoy exploring the lighthouses, Glass Beach, and hiking in forests. You won’t just have to settle for sea kayaking in the Pacific Ocean though, the area is home to seven rivers, including Big River and the Noyo River, which are the popular spots for kayakers and canoers. If you’re visiting during the summer season (May-October), head to the spot in front of Fort Bragg’s City Hall from 3pm-6pm to experience the Fort Bragg Farmer’s Market. Unsubscribe at any time. A humanist cult, a Danish hideaway, a gravitational anomaly, towering trees, a spoiled rich kid’s castle, clothing-optional hot springs, and the cutest (and weirdest) animals imaginable: in this episode, we cover everything you need to plan your trip up the California Coast – and all the weird history you never knew along the way. The 10 best things to do in Mendocino County. I’d love it if we had time to curl up in this little nook by the fireplace to read. That sounds wonderful! Since COVID-19 resdtrictions were put in place, the market is a little smaller than usual, but you can still get your fill of meat, eggs, olive oil, and pastries.eval(ez_write_tag([[250,250],'brightlightsofamerica_com-netboard-2','ezslot_23',124,'0','0'])); Mendocino Farmer’s Market is at Howard and Main Street, on Fridays between midday and 2pm. Activiteiten in de omgeving van Mendocino National Forest. This FREE printable Highway One itinerary will help guide you on your road trip! Come see if for yourself , You are our favorite people, maybe ever. eval(ez_write_tag([[336,280],'brightlightsofamerica_com-netboard-1','ezslot_22',126,'0','0'])); As you can imagine, there are lots of great places to stay in Fort Bragg and Mendocino, and they cover a range of budgets and needs. If you’re keen, you can do a tour of one of the tallest lighthouses on the Pacific Coast (it is equal height to the Pigeon Point Lighthouse). 30 Things Nobody Tells You About Quitting Your Job to Travel, 32 Things Nobody Tells You About Long Term Travel as a Couple, 30 Things No One Tells You About Backpacking in South America, 25 Things We Never Asked for from Traveling the World for a Year, Our Year-Long Honeymoon: What Happened … & How Much It Cost, What Not to Pack for Long Term Travel: 10 Things We Wish We Did & Didn’t Pack, 50 Perfect Gifts for Every Type of Travel Lover (& for Yourself), 6 Super Practical Gifts for Coffee Lovers who Travel, 28 Totally Ridiculous Travel Gifts (That You’ll Low-Key Want), 25 Things No One Tells You About Being a Full Time Travel Blogger. There is an accessible room available, but you have to book it specially, keep in mind that you need to climb stairs to get to most of the rooms on the property. Lovely article, you really capture the north coast! things to do in mendocino | ride the skunk train There are not many places left that you can ride a Skunk Train, so this is a definite on the list! Hahahah my stomach starts growling just looking at those pics, too. I don’t know, why don’t you ask my husband, who’s had to hear about it every second day for the past year? None of them involve Porsches, kites, or frolicking pigs, sorry to dissapoint. Leave some room in your bag to take the best of Mendocino back home with you. There is and always has been private property within the exterior boundaries of most National Forests. The house was built by a well-known artist and there are pieces of his original work around the house. One of the best ways to see Mendocino is on the water, and there are several excellent kayaking opportunities in Mendocino. 4 Amazing Things About the Mendocino National Forest It’s Vast and Enchanting. It doesn’t require you to suit up in swimming gear, is great for children since you’re in tandem kayaks, and you’re most likely to stay dry. 101 Things To Do® is distributed free of charge in hundreds of locations throughout the region and the adjoining area. Be careful not to mindlessly pick up the glass from this beach to take home with you, because removing any glass from Glass Beach is illegal. What do you think of when you hear the words 'California road trip'? Jughandle State Natural Reserve is halfway between Mendocino and Fort Bragg, off California Highway 1. Thank you for the sweetest, perfectest, and kindest story about our Inn that we’ve ever read. Oh, bring a scarf, too. things to do in mendocino national forest I’ve saved this page as reference for a planned trip in the Fall season, Hi Lea, we’re so glad you enjoyed our post! It’s full of redwoods and vineyards and coastal spots like the actual town of Mendocino and beautiful road trips and tiny adorable towns. Hey, I'm Lia! Here are our favorite places to get a sweet treat in Mendocino. Driving north from San Francisco to Mendocino on Highway 101 will take around 3 hours. It took Webb less than a day to create the mural. OK, there IS a longer story than that, but it’s a really long story, so I’m just gonna show you some pictures of Jeremy hanging out with these goats instead, which seemed a lot nicer (from a safe distance). We trusted our sever to recommend two beers on tap, and we were not disappointed. What you need to know to plan your own Mendocino getaway- the perfect hideaway on the northern California coast! The park’s main attractions are the 36′ waterfall, a mile and a half of craggy headlands, Devil’s Punchbowl, and the bridge (see below). If you’re planning on going hiking and kayaking, you’ll want to pack active clothing that’s warm, too. Mendocino is home to a huge amount of delicious, locally grown, incredibly fresh food. The Mendocino National Forest is a beautiful place to visit with lots to see and do. It is 115ft (35 metres) to the lantern room at the top of the tower, so be ready to climb some stairs!eval(ez_write_tag([[300,250],'brightlightsofamerica_com-sky-1','ezslot_26',123,'0','0'])); Point Arena Lighthouse is at 4500 Lighthouse Road, Point Arena. By the way, if you’re curious: this was NOT a sponsored stay, and we paid our own way fully out of pocket. Plus, you said bread pudding, so we’ll definitely be there Thanks Lisa! '&l='+l:'';j.async=true;j.src= It is not a State Park, it is a National Forest, with many campgrounds, recreational opportunities and places to play. If Airbnbs are more your vibe then there is no shortage of amazing Airbnbs in Mendocino, there are so many cottages in the redwoods, beachfront cabins and cute apartments you are sure to find what you are looking for. As an Amazon Affiliate, we earn from qualifying purchases. thank you, Lisa & Tony Geer. The market also sells hot food for an early dinner, and you can eat it while watching live music in the seating area. All I remember is that they were good beers. If you’re planning on exploring the park, make sure to grab a copy of our complimentary Vacation Guide. All of those broken bottles have worn away over time to create the tourist attraction. var s = d.createElement(sc), p = d.getElementsByTagName(sc)[0]; Just 15 minutes drive north of Mendocino, in Fort Bragg, you’ll find the famous Glass Beach – a beach littered with hundreds of thousands of pieces of coloured glass worn smooth by the sea and sand.eval(ez_write_tag([[300,250],'brightlightsofamerica_com-large-leaderboard-2','ezslot_4',110,'0','0'])); I use the word “littered” purposely, because the beautiful phenomenon was actually caused by years of dumping garbage in the area. Psst: If you’re planning to visit multiple parks this year, we recommend picking up an America is Beautiful National Parks Pass. Your email address will not be published. Some rooms on the property (including ours) was very close to the S Main Street Bridge that goes over the Noyo River, but we didn’t have any problem with traffic noise.eval(ez_write_tag([[300,250],'brightlightsofamerica_com-portrait-2','ezslot_25',127,'0','0'])); North Cliff Hotel is at 1005 S Main Street, Fort Bragg. The national monument is made up of more than 20,000 islands, rocks and reefs dotted along the whole of the California coast. Mendocino is known for it’s world-class wine and stunning coastal views, and the area is a perfect spot for a romantic getaway or girl’s trip! We really love Ocean View Cottage across the road from Caspar Headlands State Park, you have incredible beach views and are surrounded by nature. Fort Bragg & Mendocino are nestled about halfway between San Francisco and the Oregon border in California. It is such a great place and well worth that extra distance. Like, pockets you can fit your whole hands in, with hidden pockets that you can ALSO fit your whole hand in. The room was huge (it was bigger than our San Francisco apartment), had a fireplace with couches to enjoy the views of the Noyo River and Pacific Ocean, a spacious bathroom and separate dressing area, and the bed was very comfortable. We just really and truly adored this cute little inn! From trains to trees, from antelope to zebra and beaches to wine… here are our top picks. I totally get a Highway One vibe when I look at parts of the Australian Coast, so I do think there’s definitely some overlap there . North Coast Brewing Company opened in 1988 and has won 110 naitional and international awards over the years. Don’t worry – it’s not like, winter cold. This is a great spot to get away from the crowds, and while an afternoon away. There’s ample parking here, but you’ll have to walk along a wide trail from the lot to the beach itself. We usually don’t seek out “shopping” as an activity when traveling, but Mendocino is an exception. You’re likely to see harbor seals, river otters, great blue herons, and double crested cormorants. Love The Andiron, even if I am a little prejudice ( being Scott and Madeline’s aunt). Whether you’re hoping to stay a day or just want to make friends with otters and sea lions (UM YES), the best way to explore Mendocino’s coast is via kayak! I’m kidding, the staircase actually showcases half a million years of natural history, showing how geology, soil and plants have changed over time. (function(d, sc, u) { The garden out the front was beautiful in late June when we visited and that set the tone for our evening. His mural was sponsored by Flockworks and Dr. Alan Limbird, who also owns the building. Point Arena is the spot where you’ll see seals, and sea birds from the bluffs, and maybe spot a whale or two during migration season. But if you want some hotspots to ferret out specifically, you can always start at the corner of Laurel and Harrison Streets, where Hannah Webb’s The Grey Fox graces the side of a building. The sandy cove is surrounded by rock walls and there’s even a big tidal pool below the rocks north of the beach. We’ve created a detailed 10-day California Coast road trip itinerary to help you plan! We’ve heard good things about Pacific Star Winery, Navarro Vineyards & Winery, and Nelson Family Vineyards. You can drive the world-renowned Pacific Coast Highway and make a few pit stops on the way to break up the trip.eval(ez_write_tag([[300,250],'brightlightsofamerica_com-medrectangle-4','ezslot_2',107,'0','0'])); You don’t want to rush this road trip, especially if you’re doing the drive during the spring and summer months – the scenery along the Pacific Coast Highway is famous for a reason! So wandering around the main streets and getting a bit lost is your aim here! If you like long walks on the beach, this is right up your alley. AND you are supporting the National Park Foundation. With this guide we explored some of the most beautiful areas in California, such as the Mendocino coast and Humboldt Redwoods State Park. Surround yourself with lush greenery, an abundance of wildlife, and thrilling outdoor adventures. So we were looking for mid-to-low priced accommodation options, with the occasional splurge thrown in. It has a huge deck that sits on huge lawns, giving you optimal views of the rural surroundings and the ocean. The area is home to a variety of sea life, including some cheeky and playful sea lions. We chatted with the other guests and the incredibly friendly (and totally cool) owners while taking in the eclectic weird-ness of the decorations. Jeremy loves all animals indiscriminately, but I had a traumatic experience growing up on my parent’s farm in Kentucky. IMPORTANT: Before you go tide-pooling, please brush up on your Tidepool Etiquette. The coastline is particularly rocky in this area, so keep an eye on any children getting close to the water.eval(ez_write_tag([[250,250],'brightlightsofamerica_com-leader-1','ezslot_10',113,'0','0'])); Glass Beach is at W. Elm Street and Glass Beach Drive, Fort Bragg. You can do a one hour sunset or private Noyo Harbor Tour with Captain Dan on an 18ft electric boat. Learn how your comment data is processed. Van … The pricing was reasonable, the location was great – just down the street from our favorite local brunch spot, Circa 62 in Little River – and we suspected the place might have that ~character~ that our favorite places to stay do. AND, you have created the BEST guide to everything and everyplace else around here that we dig. And in a state known for excellent food (I’m biased, but like … California food is the best in the country, y’all, and we grow it ourselves, too) Mendocino is up there with the best of them! Things To Do In Mendocino Wander Mendocino Headlands State Park. But if you’ve never taken this route, it’s really worth the extra time! If you purchase something through one of these links you don’t pay a cent more, but I receive a small commission, that is put towards the running of this blog. Breathtakingly beautiful, enjoy the best weather of Mendocino from February to the end of May. **Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. The food there is SO good. They were powered by gasoline engines and crude oil stoves burned to keep passengers warm, creating a fairly pungent aroma. You’re so right, I always have such a stereotypical picture of California, so this was a really refreshing and new take for me (I’m in Scotland and have no experience of most of the states!). Coming Soon in Mendocino. Mendocino is a nature lover’s paradise. And you get gorgeous views of the coastline. We do have great fudge here though so i’ll remember this place and if I make it over I can see how it compares to ours! And, you had me at Blue Cheese Bourbon Burger… plus, all your other stunning food pics that are making me hungry right now (it’s 10pm here) and there’s absolutely nothing to eat, so I’ll just stare at these photos and let my stomach eat itself. You should also check out the Carriage House in Little River which is on the grounds of a historical B&B, the grounds have a little creek to paddle in and an orchard you can pick apples in. MacKerricher State Park: Just north of Fort Bragg about 20 miles up the coast from Mendocino, you’ll find one of the... Mendocino Headlands State Park: You’ll find tidepools on the far western bluff, not to mention beaches and sea caves. The Andiron Inn is totally weird and kitschy, and SO up our alley! You’re welcome. Think of two bicycles side-by-side, mounted on a railway-friendly frame. So many people think of California as warm and sunny with palm trees etc, and really that’s only southern California Northern California is TOTALLY different! Outdoor Activites You Will Love. Sea Rock Inn also has an excellent guide to their top 10 favorite wineries in Mendocino. Would love to see whales here! The Mendocino Coast Botanical Gardens sit on 47 acres of coastal land, amid canyons, wetlands, coastal bluffs, and closed-cone coniferous forests. Learn how your comment data is processed. Among all the activity you mentioned, I think my favourite one would be to experience the rails under your own steam, with the Fort Bragg railbike :). Mendocino is known for its natural beauty, from the smallest to the tallest Redwoods in the world, to glass-bottom beaches and the only oceanfront botanical gardens in the USA. We recommend you take the scenic route one way and the fast route the other way. Being so close to the Pacific Ocean (OK, right on the Pacific Ocean’s doorstep), you can’t visit Fort Bragg and Mendocino without sampling some fresh seafood. That’s a given. The list of fun things to do in Mendocino County could go on forever, so to narrow it down, we created an agenda of can’t-miss activities in the region.