We’ll never know for sure what he eats for lunch that day... My granddaughter recommended this book to me and I am very pleased that she did. Newly arrived in America with his family, Ravi is horrified to find that his first day of school does not go as planned: the teacher and students have trouble understanding his accent, the students laugh at his mannerisms (standing when answering a question), and he, a boy who won academic awards back home in Bangalore, is sent to the Resource Room for extra help with English! It’s even better when I enjoy said books! SAVE ME A SEAT is the story of two seemingly different boys - one Indian, one American. He discovers that our educations is a little bit different and we don't eat as. That's something to relate to. What does deserve the 4 stars is that the authors get the kids pretty much right. The authors did an amazing job at making you feel empathy and putting you into the characters shoes. stringer1989. Ravi is an immigrant from India, Joe is white, but bullied, and the bully is an ABCD, American born confused desi. They repeatedly asked us to share the recipes found in the book and poured over the glossaries for each main character in the back. Save Me a Seat is also a great mentor text. 54 likes. Not only that but the book was very easy to follow... with the perfect amount of dialogue, text, and conflict between characters. Save me a seat is a heartwarming book about family, classroom and peer dy. Just a moment while we sign you in to your Goodreads account. This was a quick read however, it was very easy to respond on and do journal work on. "Winning is not always about shining the brightest. I was not disappointed by this book. As soon as I read the summary for this book, I knew I had to read it as it dealt with the immigrant experience from a child's point of view. This book is a great learning experience for young people, especially school age children. 248 customer ratings. (p.215). In fact, the only things they seem to have in common is they are in the same class and they could each use a new friend. Students also really identified with Ravi’s frustration when his name was mispronounced and talked seriously about the importance of using names carefully and respectfully. We truly couldn’t recommend this book more highly! Save Me a Seat (Scholastic Gold): Amazon.co.uk: Weeks, Sarah: Books. ©2018 by save me a seat reviews. While they ate, we (teachers) read aloud and finished the book. Joe’s two best friends have moved away and now he is left at the mercy of the class bully who also has Ravi in his sights. [Two outsiders Ravi and Joe give a bully his comeupance for a day. Ravi, a star student and athlete in India, is shocked to quickly learn that his talents are not evident to his new teacher and classmates. The things he liked about himself seem to neither impress nor be appreciated by his American classmates and teachers. by Scholastic Press. As the week goes on, these boys will come to understand each. When Ravi’s family moves to America, he is shocked at how different things are. Joe has to attend special classes to deal with the way that he gets overloaded by sights and sounds. Save Me a Seat is a wonderfully middle-school friendly story told by two authors from two different cultural perspectives. The story follows both boys as. Joe, newly bereft of companionship after his only two friends move away, is more vulnerable than ever to the bullying of Dillon Samreen, who has always made him a target, and who is the most popular boy in the school. Save Me A Seat is a great read for anyone regardless of age. Joe’s two best friends have moved away and now he is left at the mercy of the class bully who also has Ravi in his sights. Hello, Sign in Account & Lists Account Sign in Account & … Joe Sylvester is tall for his age, always hungry, and struggles in class because he has APD (Auditory Processing Disorder). When Ravi’s family moves to America, he is shocked at how different things are. Since we finished our read aloud, six of our students have eagerly reread Save Me a Seat independently (which works well for their development of comprehension and decoding skills in third grade). --Kirkus Reviews, starred review About the Author. School has never been easy for him, since he struggles with Auditory Processing Disorder, but until this year, lunchtime was his favorite part of the day. I was angry with the teacher for not taking the time to pronounce Ravi's name correctly. We follow two main characters - one named Ravi (emphasis on the vi), whose family has moved to America from India, and one named Joe, who struggles with APD - Auditory Processing Disorder. Save Me a Seat is a recent middle grade book co-authored by veteran Sarah Weeks and newcomer Gita Varadarajan. Loved learning more about the perspective of Ravi's family who moved here from India. But in Save Me a Seat, Joe’s father writes him a moving and heartfelt letter accepting responsibility for how he made Joe feel (instead of saying I didn’t mean to or focusing only on his intent) and acknowledging that it is okay for men (and boys) to have feelings after all. (And a "window book" for the rest!). Kids easily pick up on the questions listed below, so this is a fun first choice for kids new to a book club even if they are older than 5th grade. 5 star 85% 4 star 9% 3 star 3% 2 star 1% 1 star 2% Save Me a Seat. It’s an amazing book for so many reasons, and was the perfect first read aloud for our class. Sarah Weeks has been writing children’s books and songs for the past twenty years. This was such a sweet book! The other day, when a substitute teacher was in our class, the students took it upon themselves to carefully learn her name even after she said it was a hard name and they were welcome to call her Mrs. K instead. Email me at Smastravel@yahoo.com or check out savemeaseattravel.com. Frost and Mr Barnes. Ideal for a read-aloud for 4th or 5th graders. Joe, a kid in Ravi's class, gets picked on by the class show-off and his classmates assume he's stupid because he has Auditory Processing Disorder and gets extra help in the resource room each day. Their misconceptions about each other, fueled by the class bully, drive the plot and suspense until they both realize that their similarities and empathy can outsmart the bully and make them feel helpful and proud. Preview this quiz on Quizizz. Goodreads helps you keep track of books you want to read. Ravi Suryanarayanan used to be at the top of his class in India—admired, envied, elite. Now that is ruined too. Save Me a Seat has 37 reviews and 17 ratings. Save me a seat is a heartwarming book about family, classroom and peer dynamics. What goes on in the book is something that kids deal with every day. 207 times. For independent reading, I recommend Save Me a Seat for ages 9-12. Yes, it’s such a cliffhanger. Our review of Save me a seat. - See 5 traveler reviews, 7 candid photos, and great deals for Oaxaca, Mexico, at Tripadvisor. What a fantastic read! Joe and Ravi(Rah-veeee with the accent on the second syllable) are in the same class and the same school. As an educator and parents, I especially like how she highlighted the impact that educators can have on students, with Mrs. Save Me a Seat is told in alternating chapters from the perspectives of Joe (written by Sarah Weeks) and Ravi (written by Gita Varadarajan): Joe is having a tough time, now that his best friends have moved away; they were the main thing helping him cope with being bullied by the most popular boy in their class. Ravi sees Joe as a "bully" or "Big Foot. A collection of resources tailored to help pastors navigate the unique challenges of ministry. Refresh and try again. I had not thought about its connections to Wonder before I read other reviews. The South Indian food in the book was not portrayed as foreign or weird or (my personal pet peeve) something only “adventurous” people eat. But in Save Me a Seat, Joe’s father writes him a moving and heartfelt letter accepting responsibility for how he made Joe feel (instead of saying I didn’t mean to or focusing only on his intent) and acknowledging that it is okay for men (and boys) to have feelings after all. Save Me a Seat DRAFT. Joe was expecting trouble — he’s been the target of the school bully for years, and he knew this year would be worse for him since his mom just took a job as the school lunch monitor. Save Me a Seat (Audio Download): Amazon.co.uk: Sarah Weeks, Gita Varadarajan, Josh Hurley, Vikas Adam, Scholastic Audio: Books I think this would make a great read aloud in an upper elementary classroom. Verified Purchase. May 10th 2016 Who are the Authors of Save Me a Seat? A charmer. When a local author has a book out that a school "should" read, I am sometimes dubious about the quality of writing and thematic elements - not the case for Save Me A Seat.